Connecting subwoofer to Onkyo TX-SR605 Help!

weeman

Standard Member
I had an all in one Sony surround sound system that I got free with my Sony HD TV. However it had no digital inputs and I wanted to connect the PS3. All the surround speakers connected to the Onkyo but I obviously needed a new subwoofer.

The problem I have is that I have now tried 3 different powered subwoofers and can get no sound from any of them. The latest is the Wharfedale WDHX-160SSP.

I have tried connecting with both a coaxial digital audio cable and also with a basic phono cable. Neither work. I have tried various calibration settings from -3db to +3db and at various volume settings on the subwoofer from about a quarter all the way to full. It goes without saying that I have tried all the various combinations of the above. I have set the system to 5.1 (correctly) and (in config) I have set the subwoofer to 'Yes'. Audyssey recognises all of the other speakers. I am connecting via the subwoofer pre out on the Onkyo but have also tried the other subwoofer connection, to no avail.

Please help, I have the distinct feeling I am probably missing something very obvious.

In advance: Thank you :lease:

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
I can not find any link to the Wharfedale WDHX-160SSP on any web search engine, can you also state what other powered subs you have tried.

danoliver1

What crossover setting has audessy set up for the sub? 80hz is recommended.
What are you using to test the lfe channel, does the lfe icon show up on the onkyos display.
Is there a switch on the back of the sub to change from line level to high level input.
What cross over is the sub set to, should be max or 200hz ish

weeman

Standard Member
Weirdly enough I can't find any ref' to such a subwoofer on any search engine either! Yet that is definitely the model as stated on the back of the subwoofer. Weird. The main alternative that I tried was the Sony SA-W10

topcourier

go to speaker set up in the menu & it gives you the choice saying sub woofer yes or no, Just select yes. Hope this is of some help to you. :)

jwlawler

I had an all in one Sony surround sound system that I got free with my Sony HD TV. However it had no digital inputs and I wanted to connect the PS3. All the surround speakers connected to the Onkyo but I obviously needed a new subwoofer.

The problem I have is that I have now tried 3 different powered subwoofers and can get no sound from any of them. The latest is the Wharfedale WDHX-160SSP.

I have tried connecting with both a coaxial digital audio cable and also with a basic phono cable. Neither work. I have tried various calibration settings from -3db to +3db and at various volume settings on the subwoofer from about a quarter all the way to full. It goes without saying that I have tried all the various combinations of the above. I have set the system to 5.1 (correctly) and (in config) I have set the subwoofer to 'Yes'. Audyssey recognises all of the other speakers. I am connecting via the subwoofer pre out on the Onkyo but have also tried the other subwoofer connection, to no avail.

Please help, I have the distinct feeling I am probably missing something very obvious.

In advance: Thank you :lease:

When Audyssey runs, do you hear it trying the sub-woofer? Have you tried the test tone function? Does that produce any noise from the subwoofer? If these do not make any sound then your subwoofer may be misconnected, set very badly wrong, or it or the amp is faulty.

Are you sure that the subwoofer is connected correctly to the amp? Note that there are two sockets labelled "subwoofer". One is part of a set for multichannel analogue input, in this set subwoofer is just below one labelled "center", you don't want this one. The other, which is the one that you should be using, is by itself and has "Pre-out" above it.

Woops, I just reread your note and see that you are using the "pre-out" connection. I will leave my comments in case they are useful to someone else.

There could also be a connection problem at the sub. Some subs have two inputs: low level and high level. Low level expects a signal level input and is the one that should be used together with the connection that I just mentioned on the Onkyo. High level expects to be connected to the speaker outputs of the amp. If you have both, ignore the high level inputs. There may be two low level inputs (left and right). One is probably labelled "mono" and is the one to use with the single output from the Onkyo. If there are two inputs but no indication which should be used by itself then try one after the other.

Your sub probably has its own gain (volume) control. Try playing with it while using the test tone function. There may be other controls, play with them as well while using test tone. If you have high and low level inputs then they may have separate gain controls. Maybe, you have the wrong one turned up.

If none of that helps then the sub may be faulty. Could you try it with a different amp? Maybe at a friends house. It could be the amp but I guess that it is likely.

Last edited:

Optomotron

i had the same problem until i realised that i had not connected the amp properly. mkae sure both connections ae in as tight as possible.

dweedlebug

Standard Member
I know this sounds dumb, but being a powerd sub, make sure it's plugged into 1) a working outlet and 2) that it is not a "switched" outlet, meaning can be turned off and on via a light switch.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom