1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting Subwoofer to Hifi Amp

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by CJROSS, Jun 27, 2001.

1. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Hello Subexperts

Can anyone tell me how I can connect a Subwoofer to my existing Hifi amplifier, the only way I can see (I dont have any pre-outs etc) is by connecting to my speaker terminals which are currently hooked up to Castle Richmond Standmounts, I'm not very sure of the connections ie do you run speaker cable & sub speaker cable from the same connection on the Amp & run both speaker & Sub from the L/R speakers channels on the Amp. I'm getting conflicting advice about this. I'm basically looking for more oomph basswise when watching movies, but I dont want to change Amp (as Hifi is my main interest) My system comprises - Pioneer DV-717 DVD, Sony TAF-3000ES Amp & Castle Richmonds (Single Wired) Any comments appreciated.

Thanks

CJ

2. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I'm assuming your sub has a REL style connector on the back for high level input's. But basically you would run a 3 core cable terminated with a REL-ON (I think that's what they are called) from your amp (I used a spare set of swithcable speaker output's for this).

So on the cable to the sub you have 3 cores normally Red, yellow and black. You connect the red to the Right +ve speaker out on the amp, yellow to the left +ve speaker out and the black top either of the -ve speaker outs.

Hope this makes sense if not let me know.

3. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    You should run the subwoofer at speaker level as Slingshot has suggested above.

If it's not a REL model it will probably have a set of speaker level in and outputs. You should run the speaker cables from the amp to the sub and then on to the Castles. You can then tweak the sub to the correct volume and frequency crossover.

Post again if you need more help.

What sub are you interested in?

Rick

4. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Slingshot - Retro,

thanks for the replies guys, I'm in the Market to spend £400ish tops for a decent quality Sub to compliment the speakers - one deal I've seen that is of interest is the Tannoy MXSub10 at www.unbeatable.co.uk for £165 - Can you guys reccommend any others. I'd love the get a Castle Sub to match the speakers but it's a bit pricey.

I've checked out the comments re. speaker connections (RELs favoured connection) and have even went as far as phoning Tannoy & Castle - who have both tried to dissuade me from connecting at speaker level and told me to opt for line level connections (pre outs?/tape loops? I assume).........strange I know, but thats what I was advised when speaking to their technical depts.

5. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
  6. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    How about building your own ?

Have a look at some of the threads about the IPL sub woofer kit, I bought one and love it.

Cheers

Slingshot