Connecting sub to stereo amp - is Yamaha contradicting itself?

Punisa

Novice Member
Hello friends!
Yamaha got me confused... I have AS-1000 amp and YST-SW1500 subwoofer. I'm looking for the best way to connect these two.
First I've read the subwoofer manual and it states I can connect it via speaker terminals (I think I've heard somewhere, PS audio maybe, that this is the best way):

From Yamaha as-1000 manual:
hf_a.jpg

Ok, all fine, then I read this in my AS-1000 manual:

hf_b.jpg

Isn't this contradictory information?

What would be the best way to connect sub in my situation?
Also, sub is currently connected to my Marantz SR6013 AVR via single mono cable to LFE input. I guess there isn't a way to use single sub with surround AVR and stereo AMP since AS-1000 manual also states that with MAIN IN (e.g. HT bypass) there is no output to PRE OUT, headphone jack etc...

For clarity I'll add the back of my units:

4546-yam_YST-SW1500b.jpg

AS1000_back.jpg

Attachments

• 1140000.jpg
    1140000.jpg
    378.3 KB · Views: 21

wine man

I have read of some instances where the amp manufacturers don't recommend speaker connections to sub due to the way the amp is designed. To be on the safe side connect from the pre out on the amp (or sub out on an AV amp), that's how I used to have mine.

Russ_64

My BK sub allows both High level (speaker output from Amp) and Low level / LFE but warns that Amps with Class D should not be connected to High level. In your case I would stick to Sub connected to AVR only.

The latest video from AVForums

LG C1 OLED TV Best Picture Settings for SDR, HDR and Dolby Vision
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom