1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting stereo to av amps????

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jtt1888, Oct 2, 2005.

1. jtt1888

jtt1888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Can anyone advise if it is possible to connect my Arcam a85/p85 amps and FMJCD23 to my yamaha rxv750. I currently have 2 seperate systems comprising arcam and B&W hifi kit plus yamaha and Acoustic energy av kit. I want to integrate the 2 systems by dropping the AE speakers and use the B&W 704's as fronts(will by a b&w centre in time).
    My main interest is hifi so i wouldnt want the yamaha to degrade the signal from the integrated/power amp set up if possible.
    My dvd player and sky plus box are connected to my amp using digital coaxials if this makes any difference.

2. Devil On Your S

Devil On Your S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    If you have front channel pre-outs on your av amp, connect a phono lead from the av amp to a spare input on your stereo amp. When listening to movies you will need both amps on, and initially need a bit of calibrating to get the speakers at the same volume. Just remember where the volume dial was on the stereo amp and you only need to do it once.

3. jtt1888

jtt1888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes i do have front channel pre outs on the av amp. Should these be connected to the integrated amp rather than the power amp. There are spare pwr in connections on the a85 as well as standard av l&r sockets.

4. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Hi,

Yep it needs to be plugged into the intergrated A85 into one of the spare inputs. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think your A85 has a "processor mode" which can be used to control the volume from just your Yamaha (my old A80 had this option).

So the theory would be to connect via a couple of phono-phono cables between your Yamaha front pre-outs to one of the A85 inputs. Then calibrate the volume on the A85 using the test tones in the Yamaha (assuming it has them) and set the processor mode to that volume. Then when you turn them both on, you control the volume just from the yamaha by chosing the relevant input on the A85.

With regard to your CD player, plug that into the A85 CD input only, not the Yamaha. This will mean when you want to listen to CDs, turn off the Yamaha, set A85 to CD, and enjoy the bi-amp'd music on your B&W's :smashin:

This is how I used to have my A80 and AVR300 plugged in, and A80 and Sony STRDB930 before that, before I sold the A80, and replaced by P90/3.

Cheers

Andy

5. jtt1888

jtt1888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks guys
    Seems to straightforward to be true

6. jtt1888

jtt1888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well i eventually got round to trying this and surprise,surprise no sound fron the front speakers. I have the front pre outs on the av amp connected to the aux inputs on the a85 amp. Ive tried adjusting the volume on both amps but im only getting sound from the centres and the rears. Any advice is appreciated.

7. jtt1888

jtt1888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    managed to get it working by setting the a85 at high setting. ill just have to remember to turn it down for listening to cd's

8. jlms4

jlms4
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, what do you of the result Yamaha + Arcam P?
    I've just post to ask what will be the best for upgrading my set-up (see my post)
    Thank you in advance

9. jtt1888

jtt1888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sorry,Cant find your post.
    Ive been really impressed with the arcam for stereo and im ok with the yamaha for movies etc. I wouldnt recommend the yamaha for stereo but that is only my view. there are many people delighted with the yamaha in direct stereo mode.