1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting Stereo amp upto Kef Eggs

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Gorecon, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Gorecon

Gorecon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I am thinking of buying a 2 channel stereo amp (possibly a Rotel RA02) to go along side my existing Denon 3802 receiver and Kef Eggs (2001 ).

How would I wire the speakers up?
    I was thinking of connecting the stereo amp into the ‘EXT IN’ on the Denon receiver. But how do I attach the Sub Woofer? There is a sub woofer (SW) connector on the Denon. Would this get attached to the high/low level input on the sub?
    I guess what is confusing me is that the Eggs need the sub for the bass where as conventional Stereo speakers would not necessarily need a Sub.

What ever way I connect them up am I likely to have problems controlling the volume levels? I have heard this common problem for this type of setup?
    Hope this makes sense. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    What you need to do is this:

1: Connect the Pre-Outs for the front left and right speakers on the AV Receiver to one of the inputs on the stereo amp, usually Aux

2: Connect the speaker outputs from the stereo amp to the high level inputs on the subwoofer with speaker cable.

3: Connect the front left and rogh Kef eggs to the high level outputs on the subwoofer.

4: Connect the subwoofer output on the AV Receiver to the low level input on the subwoofer.

5: Set the crossover on the subwoofer at about 90Hz (Just a bit higher than the crossover setting in the Receiver)

6: Connect all your stereo only sources, eg CD Player, Turntable etc, to the relevant inputs on the stereo amp only. Doing this will give you much better stereo reproduction than going through the AV Receiver. Play a few stereo sources through your stereo amp and adjust the subwoofer level until it sounds correct, leave it at this level from now on.

7: For playing DVDs and other multi channel formats you need to switch the stereo amp to the Aux input (or whatever input you used from thr pre outs on the AV receiver). Set the volume on the stereo amp to about 12-1 'O' clock mark and leave it there. Make a note of this exact position.

8: Configure your surround setup, speaker levels and distances, with the stereo amp at that fixed volume mentioned above. If the subwoofer output needs adjusted for surround sound make the adjustments in the settings on the AV receiver not on the subwoofer as you have already set the level on the subwoofer controls to work properly for music. Once done all you need to do is set the stereo amp to this input and volume level every time you want to watch a DVD or other surround sound format.

9: In this configuration the stereo amp is acting purely as a fixed gain power amplifier for surround sound and the only volume adjustments that need to be made whilst watching are the master volume on the AV receiver. As mentioned above when listening to stereo sources you can just switch off the AV receiver and use only the streo amplifer for this purpose.

3. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you bought something like an arcam A75+ (which can be found cheap as they have been replaced) you could use its fixed gain ability so that the av amp controls the stereo amps volume for movies.

btw; there are other ways to connect it all up. When I listen to stereo my AV amp only controls the volume of the sub (I use the sub out on the AV amp as you probably currently do) and my stereo amp controls the volume for the speakers. There are many old posts around that describe how to do this.

CaM

4. Gorecon

Gorecon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the responses guys.
    I had pretty much given up on getting an answer!

Now need to source that Stereo AMP. The main thing is that at least I know it can be done with a bit of patience!

Many Thanks