Connecting speakers from all-in-one to a new amp

S

shinchan

I bought an all-in-one Pioneer DCS-360 system some time ago and I'm pretty happy with it (being a complete newbie in this field, and this being my first home cinema setup :) ).

Though after getting a PS3 a few months ago, I'm really beginning to miss an optical in port on the DCS-360 to connect the PS3 and watch bluray films and other stuff in 5.1 surround :(

So i thought I might as well get a real amp and connect the speakers from my DCS-360 together with all the other components to it (sky,other sat receiver, dvd-recorder) .

But then I noticed a sticker on the speakers telling me that connecting them to any other amp could brake them. Is this true? And if so, how high would the risk be?
I'm quite happy with the speakers and don't really have the money to get new ones (after I get the new amp).

Jonstone

I bought an all-in-one Pioneer DCS-360 system some time ago and I'm pretty happy with it (being a complete newbie in this field, and this being my first home cinema setup :) ).

Though after getting a PS3 a few months ago, I'm really beginning to miss an optical in port on the DCS-360 to connect the PS3 and watch bluray films and other stuff in 5.1 surround :(

So i thought I might as well get a real amp and connect the speakers from my DCS-360 together with all the other components to it (sky,other sat receiver, dvd-recorder) .

But then I noticed a sticker on the speakers telling me that connecting them to any other amp could brake them. Is this true? And if so, how high would the risk be?
I'm quite happy with the speakers and don't really have the money to get new ones (after I get the new amp).

A quick search shows that system to have 4 ohm speakers.

I don't claim to know very much about this subject but the few av receivers I have looked at seem to support 6-8 ohm speakers, I am sure someone more knowledgable can tell you what the effect running one of these systems with 4 ohm speakers would be, but at a guess then I would say yes there is a real chance they could be damaged on another system

S

shinchan

A quick search shows that system to have 4 ohm speakers.

I don't claim to know very much about this subject but the few av receivers I have looked at seem to support 6-8 ohm speakers, I am sure someone more knowledgable can tell you what the effect running one of these systems with 4 ohm speakers would be, but at a guess then I would say yes there is a real chance they could be damaged on another system

Yes they are 4Ω. I've seen some receivers stating to support 4-6Ω or 4-8Ω. Would it work with one of those?

Would it be bad to plug them into a receiver supporting higher ohm? (e.g. Onkyo TX-SR605)?

While searching the net I found this:
http://www.audioholics.com/educatio...hm-speakers-to-an-8-ohm-receiver-or-amplifier

But as a newbie I'm not quite sure, after reading that, if that Onkyo receiver is "high-end" enough to support the speakers.

Maybe someone here has experience with connecting 4Ω speakers into an 8Ω receiver similar to that Onkyo?

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom