1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting SPDIF output to an amp

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by d0z3y, Feb 21, 2003.

1. d0z3y

d0z3y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I have an Epox 8rda+ mobo which I am using for my HTPC. This has NVidia soundstorm sound and apparently has a spdif output onboard. I intend to try using this for my DVD / CD, Divx audio. If it is not good enough then I will invest in a dedicated audiophile card. I am unsure about two things:

1) How do I use the spdif facility of the motherboard. I am guessing I need to get hold of some sort of riser card that would give me a port I could use, but haven't been very successful in finding one. Any suggestions on what I should be searching for?

2) I plan to buy an amp compatible with Dolby 5.1 to feed from the HTPC, how easy is it to find one that can connect to spdif? Is this the best thing to do and what would be a decent amp to look for (around £300).

Thanks for your help.
    d0z3y

2. Ken

Ken
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I recently helped to set up my sisters new system and that had on board sp/diff. It was supplied with a panel that used a PCI space; not connector; and had a skt mounted on it. It had a cable to connect to the m/b. The location being shown in the m/b manual. All I did then was activate it in the sound software. Hope this helps and good luck.

Ken

3. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's an SPD650 card/bracket included in the mobo package with Toslink in/out SPDIF on the 8RDA+. The bracket has to be screwed to a free PCI slot bracket mounting and attaches to the SPDIF connector adjacent to PCI slots 3/4 on the mobo by means of the cable (which should be) supplied. See page 3-10 of the mobo manual.

Set this up with the nVidia audio utility accessible from the icon in your system tray. See mobo manual page 5-2.

As long as an amp has the Toslink (optical) connection, or you can use a Toslink adapter you're OK as regards choice.

Good luck!!

4. d0z3y

d0z3y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice. I didn't get the SPDIF connector with my 8RDA, I'll have to check with the supplier to see what they say.
    Thanks
    D0z3y