Connecting soundcard to Logitech Z5500

e46_m3

Novice Member
I have just bought a set of Logitech Z5500 speakers - I have two soundcards and cant seem to get either to work via a digital connection although both work fine connected via analogue.

First card I tried was my Xi Fi Xtreme Audio - I then reverted to my old Audigy 2 ZS. I am using a 3.5mm digital connector and then using the optical connection on the 5500 control unit - I choose optical for the input but no sound. I have chosen digital output only in the sound config but still nothing.

What am I doing wrong? Bit annoyed that I have shelled out for digital speakers and am using analogue connections.............

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
Digital speakers well lets hope not. Do remember all things digital and PC's does not mean quality and smooth running. If you play PC Games then the best connection is with 3x 3.5mm to stereo phono cables.
Quote from Creative.
Creative Worldwide Support

Read the paragraph "The common misconceptions about the Digital Out jack is that it can send 5.1 sound from a single digital connection to a receiver all the time. In fact, the Digital Out jack could only send multi channel audio (5.1) under either one of the following conditions:"

CARLOS

Distinguished Member
I have just bought a set of Logitech Z5500 speakers - I have two soundcards and cant seem to get either to work via a digital connection although both work fine connected via analogue.

First card I tried was my Xi Fi Xtreme Audio - I then reverted to my old Audigy 2 ZS. I am using a 3.5mm digital connector and then using the optical connection on the 5500 control unit - I choose optical for the input but no sound. I have chosen digital output only in the sound config but still nothing.

I have the same speakers and i did have a Audigy 2 ZS card in my previous system.
The output on the Audigy card is coax digital not optical so you need a 3.5mm jack to single phono adapter then a single phono to phono cable into the coax in on the Z5500.
I bought my adapter from Maplins but i've just had a quick look and couldn't see it listed on their site ?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom