1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting Sony 36Fs76 TV to STB, DVD etc

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by DJM, Mar 20, 2003.

1. DJM

DJM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Bought a Nokia 221t STB yesterday and it seems to work well. Sony 36Fs76 due to arrive tomorrow and I will be knee deep in spaghetti connections shrtly after. But, some help on the best arrangement would be useful.

Items to connect :
    Sony 36FS76 Widescreen TV
    Sony DAVS800 DVD/Amp home cinema box
    Nokia 221 Digital STB
    Akai VCR

Points to note
    Sony DAVS 800 has no scart connecters all RCA
    Nokia 221t has 2 Scarts
    Akai VCR very old and due to be replaced, but has no Scart only 1 set of RCA connectors

My current assumptions
    Aerial : direct into Nokia STB loop through to Akai VCR, loop through to Sony TV.
    Sony TV Scart 1 : connected to Nokia 221t Scart 1
    Sony TV Scart 2 : connected to Sony DAVs800
    Nokia 221t Scart 2 : connected to Akai VCR
    Nokia 221t Audio out : connected to Sony DAVS800

This gives me direct vision from the Nokia into the TV (with sound if required), and direct sound from Nokia to the DAVS800.
    DVD direct view from the Sony DAVS800.
    VCR view from the aerial connection - not so good, but don't use video often, and until I replace the video will do.

Anybody got a better suggestion?

2. mattheu

mattheu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why not connect VCR to scart 3 and connect dig. box to vid via another scart.
    Wouldn't this allow selection of the vid without switching the through the nok.
    The sony allows scarts to be associated to tv numbers,
    For ease of selection rather than cycling through the scart input select, I have assigned TV channels , 7 = Cable, 8 = DVD, 9= video
    Sorry if this obvious and of no help.

3. DJM

DJM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The video is ancient, but a good qaulity one at the time. It has only got one set of RCA aux inputs and no output except via RF aerial lead. So I can't connect vid directly to telly. The Nokia and vid connection is for recording off STB.

I like the idea of assigning Scart to TV numbers, I will look at that when the TV comes tomorrow.

Thanks for the reply

4. DJM

DJM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well the 36FS76 has arrived. ue to be delivered in the afternoon, but arrived at 11:50. Good job the other half was in. Now trying to get out of work early to go play.

just hope the result is as good as the anticipation

5. mattheu

mattheu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry though it had outputs.
    Hope you're pleased with the TV.
    I don't think the picture jumps out at you.But with an good source it can be quite fine, I feel the colur balance is netrual and gives a natural picture rather than the forced contrasty over orange 'tosh's..

6. DJM

DJM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    OK so I got home and strated putting it together. In the end I connected as I had assumed :

Aerial : direct into Nokia STB loop through to Akai VCR, loop through to Sony TV.
    Sony TV Scart 1 : connected to Nokia 221t Scart 1
    Sony TV Scart 2 : connected to Sony DAVs800
    Nokia 221t Scart 2 : connected to Akai VCR

Welll it all seems to work. analogue, digital, DVD and VCR, but somehowit doesn't seem as clear as my old TV. Almost like not quite focussed. Moving images are particularly bad. DRC, NR, AI settings don't seem to make any difference.

Now I know the leads I have used at the moment aren't brilliant quality, but they aren't rubbish, and they worked very well with the old TV. I am assuming that RGB is being received, but can't see how to check on the TV.

I guess I am going to keep it and hope it grows on me. Any ideas how to make it better. As I said on another thread, if I keep it, I need to find out some cheap way of converting NTSC to PAl so our lad can have the old TV to replace his portable.

7. mattheu

mattheu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the menu, manual settings I think, if the RGB is not greyed out , then you have an RGB input.
    My TV was poorly set up focus wise.
    Try searching this site for settings.
    If it is worse to the edges then this can be slightly improved via the service settings, if over full screen there is an overall focus control knob, in the inside of the TV, get a service tech. to do this though.

8. Bogside

Bogside

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +358
    How do you do this - I must have missed it in the manual?

9. DJM

DJM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Bogside,

not being at home this will be a bit wooly, but it is quite easy to assign AV inputs to channels, and when you look you'll easily work it out.

On the menu that allows you to sort the TV stations to a particular TV channel number, you can also name the channel and define the input. I think it might be manual settings or further settings menu. Go to the TV channel number you wnat to assign to an AV port. You then need to select EXT rather than I and then the AV input. Add a label and hey presto done. Works well and is a nice feature.

mattheu

thought I had already replied to say thanks for the info, but obviously not.

Bought some better quality interconnects and changed the connections slightly.

Sony TV Scart 1 : connected to Nokia 221t Scart 1 for DVB video(TV channel 6)
    Sony TV Scart 2 : connected to Sony DAVs800 for cheating on video and sound re-direction (TV channel 9)
    Sony TV Scart 3 : connected to Sony DAVs800 s-video for DVD playback (DAVS800 has no SCART) (TV channel 7)
    Nokia 221t Scart 2 : connected to Akai VCR for recording