Connecting Sonos to a HDD

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by sparrowm, Dec 21, 2011.

1. sparrowm

sparrowm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'm thinking of purchasing a Sonos play 3 system and connect this to my network. I currently have the following;

Netgear router N600 WNDR3400 with one USB

Seagate 2TB HDD connected to the USB port of the router.

Up to 3 laptops

2 iphones

1 iPod touch

1 Xbox 360

What i want to do is have all my music stored on the HDD connected to the router and stream to Sonos, does anyone know if this is possible?

I would like to have a NAS drive but this is not in budget with the price of a Sonos system over £250. I also understand i may need a bridge to connect Sonos to my router.

I've asked Sonos sales team and they have reported back as long as the router supports SMB/cifs protocol, not sure what this means however i can use SMB, this is the instruction to direct me to the drive via the browser and this works.

Many thanks in advance.

Mick.

2. amcluesent

amcluesent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    So long as your laptop(s) can see a shared network drive on the Router, the SOnos ought to be able to read the music content too.

If the Play:3 can be wired to the Router it'll work, if you want wireless you'll need a Sonos Bridge wired to the router.

3. sparrowm

sparrowm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the reply.

Yes all the laptops can see the hard drive and can read and write to it the only problem i do have is my new Samsung LED TV can't see the HDD. Currently the offer with with Sonos is a free bridge with £39.

What i don't what to do is buy a Sonos and then find out i can't play the music from the HDD.

Until i could afford more Sonos devices the first one will be well away from the router.

4. cerv

cerv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think you should be fine. I did a bit of googling for you and that model of router allows you to access your USB drive via the following protocols from the looks of it: http, ftp and samba. Samba is one of those SMB/CIFS protocols so provided it's set up like that you should be fine.

And I would imagine that it is set up like that if you're accessing it like it were any other normal drive from your laptop.

P.S. Play 3 + free bridge is currently £240 at richersounds: Sonos PLAY:3 Black | Wireless Music System | Richer Sounds

5. Sorby

Sorby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi
    I just saw sparrowm's post about getting a SONOS system to see a USB drive attached to a Netgear 600 router. I have exactly that situation (Netgear N600 DGND 3700) but my SONOS can't connect. I tell SONOS the music is "On a networked device such as a NAS drive" (well--it's a USB drive attached to the router--not quite the same thing). I can browse to the music folder on the USB drive, but the "Next" button on the SONOS stays grey as though something is not being accepted.

Has anyone any ideas?

6. amcluesent

amcluesent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    Your best bet is to call Sonos support. Could be permissions on the network share or config of Samba on the router.

7. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,268
    You can only tell Sonos to look at a top level share on a network drive but not specifically any of the sub folders within it. It will scan all subfolders within the specified network share but you cannot specify it to only look at a specific subfolder within a share.

For example, on a Netear router the default network drive name given to an attached USB drive is 'readyshare' and the address is smb://readyshare. There is automatically a top level share created called 'USB_Storage' and the address of this is smb://readyshare/USB_Storage.

On the Sonos you can tell it to look at the smb://readyshare/USB_Storage network share and it will find everything within that share and any subfolders within it too. You cannot however tell Sonos to look at only one specific subfolder within that share, for example: smb://readyshare/USB_Storage/music

I have just tested this functionality with my Netgear DGND3300 which has a similar function and it works perfectly with Sonos. A proper NAS drive will give you more flexibility but this will serve your purposes for the time being.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Chris.

8. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,268
    Update:

It appears you can create your own top level network shares on the Netgear router in the 'USB Storage (Advanced Settings)' page and point it to a specific folder that is already on the USB drive. In the example below I have created a share called 'music' which points directly at the folder called 'music' I had already created on the USB drive. This creates a top level share that will only look in the 'music' folder on the USB drive and nothing else.

[​IMG]

If you then point the Sonos to this newly created top level share it will then index all the content within that folder only.

[​IMG]

I have tested this on my Sonos system just now and it seemed to work fine.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  9. Sorby

Sorby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi folks,

Problem solved. I emailed SONOS support and received a reply within a couple of hours. The problem is that one has to specify only the root of the USB. This was the reply:

Sonos will not accept \\READYSHARE\USB_Storage\Music as it is not a valid share address.
    Please use \\READYSHARE\USB_Storage instead

This worked. I have other things, like videos, on that drive. They show up on Sonos as folders within the SONOS system but otherwise are of no consequences. That is, my tags (mainly "Composers") work just fine.

Cheers...Sorby

10. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,268
    If you read my second post, you will see that it is possible to create other shares other than the default 'USB_Storage' one. When you create an additional share it will ask you which specific folder on the USB drive you want that share to represent. In my case you can see I have created a network share called 'music' which also happens to point only to the folder on the USB drive called 'music' and not the entire USB drive like the default 'USB_Storage' one does. This is illustrated in the highlighted section of the first image I posted.

You can then point the Sonos to the newly created network share called 'music' (network path: \\readyshare\music) and it will then only show the music in the music folder on the USB drive.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  11. Sorby

Sorby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hey Crustyloafer,

Thanks a zillion. I have explored the Netgear area under USB Storage/Advanced Settings and have pretty easily set up my Music folder in the way you detail. It works a treat. I also now realise...quite by the way...that there are lots of FTP and other possibilites with that USB drive. Many thanks indeed.

Cheers
    Sorby

12. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,268
    Not a problem. Please use the Thanks button. :smashin: