1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting Smartlink for Sony VTX-D800U and Sony SLV-SE740G VCR

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by JonW999, Jun 2, 2005.

Tags:
  1. JonW999

JonW999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought this combination mainly because it would enable me to use Smartlink between the two. However, I can't for the life of me sort out the Smartlink. Everytime I try to set it up I get an immediate error telling me to check my TV and Euro Connection, but my connections are exactly as it says in the manual. What can I do?

Thanks.

2. Spanglemaker

Spanglemaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I use smartlink from the VTXD800 to a Panny HS2 DVD/HD recorder. The principle should be the same for VCRs I guess.

Don't know what your connections are at the moment, but connect VCR out from the VTXD800 to AV1 on the VCR. Enable smartlink in the VTXD800 menu.

Hope this helps.

3. ed_h

ed_h
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to connect a freeview box to my Panasonic DVD-R - sounds like the Sony will work if it works with Panasonic VCR's :)

4. Spanglemaker

Spanglemaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Your Panny must be support QLink though (Panny's name for Smartlink).

5. Stone Free

Stone Free

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    It also works with Ext Link (a simple pin voltage system). I used that with my parents Panasonic S-VHS Video, and that works fine.

6. Spanglemaker

Spanglemaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Of course, but the subject of the thread was 'Smartlink'. ;)

With smartlink you don't have to remember to put the recorder into 'Ext Link' mode.

7. Stone Free

Stone Free

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Your right :eek: , I just mentioned this as I recently downloaded the manual for the Sony SLV-SE740G VCR as my sister had just had Sky installed and I couldn't seem to get Smartlink to work, and I noticed that it also mentioned Synchro Record.

My sisters telly does not have any inputs other than RF, which I thought would make things simpler. I tried connecting the Thomson Sky box to both the black and blue SCARTs but the Autoview function in the Sky Planner didn't make the video respond.

As you don't have to remember to put the recorder into 'Ext Link' mode, how do you stop the video from recording over stuff you want to keep, or do you just have to make damn sure that the tape is in the correct position?

Unfortunately she didn't have the manual to hand and I don't know whether Smartlink defaults to ON.

8. Spanglemaker

Spanglemaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Good question. I use smartlink with my HDD/DVD recorder so I don't have this problem, it just uses whatever free space is available. I would guess it would record from the current tape position, maybe someone else can confirm.