• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

connecting skyhd to tv without hdmi

dazjb

Standard Member
hi guys

i have a little problem i have just ordered skyhd but i have an old plasma tv it has dvi port but i am not sure if it works my old laptop had an dvi port on it so i connected it to my plasma and i could not get it to work when i got a new laptop it had hdmi output on it got hdmi to dvi and still nothing so i think that the port has never worked so what is the best way to get hd signal to my plasma? the connections on the tv are vga,s-video,component(the manual says i can get 1080i from that),dvi so what do you think:rolleyes:

ProDave

It won't help you much, but the old Thomson Sky HD boxes have component video out that would work, but they don't supply those any more.

Of course you could just buy a second hand Thomson sky HD box with component video and use that, and just sell the shiny new one that Sky give you. If you do that, either get a Thomson box that has definitely had it's power supply capacitors upgraded, or factor in another £30 or so to upgrade the PSU yourself.

The hdmi to DVI will only work if your tv supports hdcp. Some do support hdcp over DVI but not all. You will need to connect the audio separately as DVI is only a picture connection.

logiciel

wbabbington

Definitely try the DVI to HDMI route again. I used to have that setup and just used a cheap cable and had no issues. But remember that DVI doesn't carry audio so you will have to use RCA or optical depending on your set up for the sound (not that the HDMI carrys 5.1 sound anyway).

Last edited:

John

What model is the TV ? My old Hitachi only had DVI and did 1080i fine through that . You will need a seperate solution for sound though

dazjb

Standard Member
my tv is a watson pdp 4212ts i no its old but it works fine do you think i will have any issues with hdcp part because it is an old tv

logiciel

The cables are very cheap so just try it and find out for sure.

dazjb

Standard Member
ok so here is an update. had hd fitted the dvi port did not work i think it has always been broke. so i said to the sky bloke that can i run it of the vga monitor port he said that it is only for testing it does not run a picture(so whats the point in having it there)he said i wll get just a good picture with the scart lead!!! now these guys are suposed to be experts in what they do hd from a scart lead i dont think so.

so here is my problem will i get a lot better picture if i buy a hdmi to componet box they are a lot of money do you think it will be worth it?

ProDave

so here is my problem will i get a lot better picture if i buy a hdmi to componet box they are a lot of money do you think it will be worth it?

As I said earlier, if you want to throw money at the problem, buy an early Thomson Sky HD box that has the component video outputs. Make sure you get one that has already had it's power supply upgraded, if not factor in £30 for an upgraded replacement psu. you should be able to get a thomson box from ebay for about £50

Phone sky to pair your card to your new thomson box and you will have HD on your tv.

Then sell your brand new box, you will probably get more for that than all your outlay.

Simple solution, no need for converter boxes or anything else.

HDCriticalFan

so i said to the sky bloke that can i run it of the vga monitor port he said that it is only for testing it does not run a picture

I'm going back a few years now, but I'm sure that my box (Thomson) provided a perfectly usable VGA output. Perhaps this has changed with the newer boxes :confused:

he said i wll get just a good picture with the scart lead!!! now these guys are suposed to be experts in what they do hd from a scart lead i dont think so.

Well, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that your screen only has 480 lines ... i.e. it is slightly below SD resolution (576 lines). To be honest, the easiest solution would be to use a scart until you have an HD screen with an HDMI input.

You'll still get the benefit of pictures free from MPEG2 artefacts - albeit downscaled to SD by the box ... but as the picture is going to be downscaled to a sub-SD level by your screen anyway I really don't think it's going to matter all that much.

Honestly ? ... I think that this would be a complete waste of money.

Regards

ProDave

Well, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that your screen only has 480 lines ... i.e. it is slightly below SD resolution (576 lines). To be honest, the easiest solution would be to use a scart until you have an HD screen with an HDMI input.

Well spotted. A quick google reveals it's an 852 by 480 line panel.

So stick with scart until you get a better tv, and scrap my plan to get a thomson box, just stick with what you have.

I wouldn't pay for an HD subscription either until you get a better tv.

dazjb

Standard Member
thanks for all your replys but i have looked at my tv manual and it says that using component it will handle up to 1080i? so if i did get a hdmi to component converter would that not be hd? or do you still think its not worth it

HDCriticalFan

thanks for all your replys but i have looked at my tv manual and it says that using component it will handle up to 1080i? so if i did get a hdmi to component converter would that not be hd? or do you still think its not worth it

What your manual is telling you is that it can handle an incoming signal of 1080i. This is quite normal - I had a similar panel when HD launched.

However, if you look at the tech specs in your manual, you'll see that your screen only has 852x480 pixels. Every input you put into it is downscaled to this resolution.

Even normal SD on a Sky+ (576 lines) is downscaled by your screen. There is little point in converting an HD digital signal into analogue component at 1080i so that your screen can downscale it to 480. you might just as well feed it the scart signal (576) and let it downscale that.

Regards

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
I'm going back a few years now, but I'm sure that my box (Thomson) provided a perfectly usable VGA output. Perhaps this has changed with the newer boxes :confused:

No Sky box of any type has ever output a VGA signal - the only outputs ever have been RF, Composite Video, S-video, RGB, Component Video and HDMI

HDCriticalFan

No Sky box of any type has ever output a VGA signal - the only outputs ever have been RF, Composite Video, S-video, RGB, Component Video and HDMI

Ah, you've jogged my memory now.

I did have a VGA input into that old screen ... but it was coming from my off-board de-interlacer (IScan). I also drive my bedroom wall plasma with a VGA feed - but that comes from a J Sim scart-to-VGA converter. I'm guessing that I wouldn't have done either of those things if the box had a VGA output.

So you're right :blush:

Regards

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom