connecting skyHD to amp

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by clayf1ghter, Jan 24, 2008.

1. clayf1ghter

clayf1ghter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wonder if anyone can help me with this...........just purchased skyHD all up and running looks sweet but when I bought it I didn't check my amplifier to see if there was an optical port for it to connect to so I could take full advantage of the dolby surround. Unfortunately there is'nt there is only one for cd and one for dvd. So I've got the dvd set up as normal but now I've got the skyHD running through the optical cd port. It sounds fine but cant help but wonder whether I'm damaging my amp by doing this or whether the sound would be even better if it did have an optical port for the tv.

I'm into my my av kit but when it gets a bit more tecnical I'm lost, any advice would be greatly welcome.

2. Rich Marshall

Rich Marshall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +585
    All optical is the same as I understand it, it's only light anyway so I don't see how it can damage your amp.
    Are you using a 5.1 surround amp?

3. .Griff.

.Griff.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    I'm a bit confused mate.. Initially you say your amp hasn't got any optical inputs yet you then go onto to say "I've got the skyHD running through the optical cd port".

If you meant there's no auxiliary optical input and your using the CD optical input instead then I can't see the harm in that.

4. clayf1ghter

clayf1ghter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is optical for the cd and for the dvd but not for tv sorry if wording confused ...long day. You dont think the sound would be any worse by not using a dedicated input?

5. clayf1ghter

clayf1ghter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah its 5.1, it sounds good enough to me just wanted to make sure wasnt doing any damage and was getting the most out of the equipment.