1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting Sky+ via Shared Sat dish

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by neilrufc, Oct 15, 2005.

1. neilrufc

neilrufc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I live in a apartment what has 2 Sat connections in 2 different rooms (allows for multiroom viewing) for the communial satalite dish. I am using Sky+ and have had to use both SAT connections (living room & bedroom)to allow my Sky+ box to work properly i.e watch 1 channel while recording etc...

What i want to do put another standard Sky Box in one of the other rooms. Problem is i am using both SAT connections. Thinking about this dilema i wondered if i could do the following:-

Sky+ connected using both SAT feeds (bedroom & living room)

SAT feed in bedroom - place one of those switching devices hat allows 2 connections on the coax cable coming from SAT feed.

Connect the coax cable which runs to my Sky+ box into the switching device.

Setup the Standard sky box in bedroom and insert its coax cable in the sliding arial device.

If i think right i should be able to use both boxes depending on which room i am in. i.e to watch sky in bed slide the switching device to activate the Sky box...

Sorry if this sound muddled up... I tried to explain best possible

Thanks for reading

Neil

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    You can't split the satellite feeds, because the boxes send signals up the cables to select V or H polarisation and High or Low band on each LNB, in order to tune into the right channels. Your only option would be to run a co-axial cable from the existing Sky box into the bedroom, with an optional "magic eye" which would enable channel changing from the bedroom.

3. neilrufc

neilrufc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

thanks for your reply

What i thought was - using one of those slider boxes with 2 sockets - for example:-

sky+ feed in socket 1
    Sky feed in Socket 2.

I thought i might have been able to switch to either socket when wanting to use either sky box that way the signal would not be used at the same time.

do you think this is still impossible to do?

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    If you use switch boxes, it should work, but only for the box that the switch is switched to. It could be disastrous if the Sky+ box is set to record a programme, and the dish is switched to the other box. Also, if the second box is installed under the multi-room package, you could get into trouble with Sky, because the instructions for the box to "phone home" are received via the dish. Could be tricky for EPG updates too.

If only one switch is thrown, then the Sky+ boxes loses its ability to record 2 programmes at once, or recording one whilst watching another.

5. neilrufc

neilrufc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Thanks for the reply

i do see what you mean... Do you think this will work okay..

Use the 2 SAT feeds for the sky + plus box and simply buy one of those infra red systems from Argos? I could use the remote eye but dont want anymore cable running through my place.

If so with these infra red boxes - do you recommend any?

Thanks

6. neilrufc

neilrufc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry i forgot to ask you this

why could i get in trouble from Sky? Also is it safe to use my sky+ the way i am doing it? using 2 different SAT feeds... We had sky+ installed in a house before we had to move areas so we basically just took the box with us and carried on the sky subscription

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    If you have Sky+ multi-room (i.e. you get the same subscription channels on both boxes), and you pay a multi-room subscription, you have to have both boxes connected to the same phone line. This lets Sky know that both boxes are installed in the same place, and that you haven't given the second Sky+ box to a friend or relative, so they get their Sky for £10 a month. The boxes get their command to "phone home" via the satellite. If you use a switch system, there is a small risk that one of the boxes won't "phone home" and Sky will get upset.

I can't help you with the infra-red boxes, sorry. I expect someone else out there can.