1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting Sky to Media Centre

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by redgemini, May 15, 2005.

1. redgemini

redgemini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help! How do I go about connecting Sky to my Media Centre PC? I have searched just about everywhere I can think of to find this info & nothing :(

2. MattTheBeanster

MattTheBeanster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    not enough info for people to help you. what PC is it, is it running MCE or something else?

If you mean MCE and you want to connect the picture you can connect by either scart to composite or scart to s-video.

S-video gives better pictures but unless your box transmits an s-video signal (90% don't) you'll need to convert from rgb to s-video using a box.

3. stuartmc

stuartmc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To connect Sky you'll need an analogue tv tuner card such as the Hauppauge MCE150 to handle the conversion to MPEG. You'll then need to connect the composite video and the stereo output from the Sky box to the input on the MCE 150. Only Sky+ has an s-video connection so unless you have that you're stuck with composite (a very few normal Sky boxes also offered s-video, I think the Sony one did). Once you've done that you can get MCE to scan for services, it should find the signal on the composite input and you can then set the EPG to Sky.

You'll need to attach the IR Blaster that comes with the MCE remote to the front of your Sky box so MCE can change channels and then you should be there. To have Sky+ type functionality, record one channel while watching anoter you'll need two Sky boxes which means another Sky box and a Multi-Room subscription which duplicates your existing subscription to another box which costs £10 per month.

If you need to know more let me know.

Stuart

4. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure why people think the Sony comes with s-video, it doesn't! Maybe they get confused because the Sony's have an optical digital output (NOT DD5.1 though!).

Anyway, Some of the Grundig boxes have s-video output. I have the 3000 and it is a nice looking box as well as having a good quality s-video picture.

Dave

5. redgemini

redgemini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gigtek - we have an Amstrad Sky Box, with only a white & red socket on the back along with RF1 and RF2. Theres no comp video :(

Do you suggest a new sky box or does you suggest something else with the RF1&2 output ?

6. Scotty

Scotty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You can use a Scart converter; Scart socket one end composite and left and right phono (yellow, White, red) at the other, don’t forget to set the SKY box Scart setting to output PAL and not RGB.

7. redgemini

redgemini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Scotty, I've just checked Maplins and they do a Scart Convertor for £11.99 so thats a good start.

My Sky box has two Scart sockets VCR Scart and TV Scart.

VCR Scart already goes to my digitial TV tuner (for some unknown reason), then onto the Plasma Screen.

The TV Scart has nothing plugged in so should I plug the convertor into there and cable it to the Hauppauge MCE150? Also If I plug the convertor into there can I leave the VCR Scart which goes to the Dgitial TV Tuner in (basically just leaving it alone) Or would I get probs?

Thanks so much for your help :smashin: as my knowledge in this area is nil. :confused:

Thanks

8. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's not much point doing that. If you are still connecting to the TV with the digibox you will get a lousy picture. Just take the feed from the VCR scart socket. That only produces composite output.

Dave

9. redgemini

redgemini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dave.

10. Scotty

Scotty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Sounds like you’re in a bit of a pickle who connected the sky box up, don’t tell me a qualified SKY installer ;)

Ideally you should have the Sky box TV out connected to your TV’s RGB enabled Scart in socket and the SKY box set to out put an RGB signal. (best picture possible) Then as was suggested by Dave use the video connection to provide the composite signal for your PVR 150 :thumbsup:

11. redgemini

redgemini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just spent the morning at Tottenham Court Rd trying to buy a Hauppauge WinTV PVR MCE150. No joy. Apparently suppliers only supply them in packs. So I cant buy just the one on its own.

Theres plenty of Hauppauge WinTV PVR 150's around would this work? It does say its MCE compatible on the box but doesnt specifically state you can access the TV via the Media Center Menu.

Also the card looks a lot different to the MCE version and comes with a remote. Would this mean I would need to use both remotes?

Anyone have any ideas?

Thansk in advance.

12. SteveL

SteveL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    You could go to http://www.scan.co.uk just type mce into the search box at the top of the page

They'll sell you 1 PVR150MCE for about £50 :) (it doesn't come with a remote tho, your expected to use the MCE one (or similar/better)

(people on e-bay seem to like paying more for 2nd-hand products, so don't go there)

13. Scotty

Scotty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
  14. redgemini

redgemini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fantastic, already ordered !!! Cool website as well.

Thanks so much for you help. Can't wait to set it up now :)

15. redgemini

redgemini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, got the card this morning and still trying to get it to work.

The card fits nicely, boot the PC up and it couldnt find the drivers so I downloaded them off of the Hauppauge website here http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/pages/support/support_mce.html

For some reason the Recommended search can't pick the drivers up. When I click the advanced button and locate them myself for some reason the 'Open' button stays greyed out, not allowing me to select the drivers folder. As if it thinks theres nothing relevant inside it.

Anyway, the SCART (Convertor) Red, White & Yellow all go into their relevant positions in the back of the card.

Sky is set to output as PAL so I think everything is right except these drivers.

Would installing NVIDIA DVD Decoder Platinum be of any use?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/dvd_decoder_1.00.67-trial.html

Again, thanks in advance

16. Scotty

Scotty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Unzip the downloaded file to a folder on your hard drive
    When the system asks for the driver point the search at the “WinTV-PVR-150MCE_2.0.18.22280 WHQL Signed” folder, this contains the driver you require.
    Now start MCE and go to Settings, TV, Setup TV signal and follow the wizard to setup the card within MCE

17. redgemini

redgemini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having major problems now.

cutting a long story short, I plugged the yellow, red and white into the new card and the system frooze.

I powered off the PC and now theres no life whatsoever.

I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting the power cable but theres absolutely no signs of life.

All I need now is someone to confirm that the mother board is fried or something.

Anybody?

18. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When you say no life whatsoever do you mean nothing stirs at all? Even if the mobo fried you should still hear the disk(s) spinning up.

Sounds more like the PSU to me. Or if you are lucky, a fuse!

Dave

19. redgemini

redgemini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I swapped the PSU out of the MCE PC with the one for my internet PC, to my supprise the old MCE one worked !!!

Anyhow both are up and running now, after a lot of shouting and swearing :)

Does any one know why this happend? does the PSU hold a charge or something. Maybe disconnecting it from the mobo resets something???

Anyway I'm still with the same problem I had before my little power outage. And I now feel a little reluctant to give it another go.

I may attempt it again this weekend. But if anyone has any ideas then please post.

Many thanks

Red.

20. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the psu in a modern pc suffers a short, overload etc, it will power itself down to prevent harm. Leave it unplugged from the mains for about 15 minutes and it will wrok again (assuming the reason for it powering down in the first place doesnt exist anymore)

21. TroggyT

TroggyT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I got an Amstrad Sky+ box which has an S-Video output on the back however I can't pick up any services from it through my media centre...anyone else had similar problems?

TIA

Andy