Connecting Sky+ to LE32R41BDx

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by DU02, Aug 2, 2005.

Tags:
  1. DU02

DU02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just setting up my new Samsung LE32R41BD, I'm a bit of a noob at this so apologies for any stupid questions.
    Connected my Sony DVD (nothing special) via S-video and picture looked very nice indeed. Connected my Sky+ by same s-video cable and the picture looks pretty poor. Connected by Scart (bog standard cheapo cable) and picture quality is pretty much exactly the same. Changing RGB/PAL setting in Sky menu makes no difference (but then my Scart cable is probably not RGB so that would be why)

I was expecting the S-video picture from my Sky+ to be noticably better than the standard scart but it really isn't. Any suggestions? The s-video cable i'm using is good quality, gold plated connectors, can't remember make..but picture looked ace from DVD so I don't think there's a problem with the cable.

Thanks for any advice
    Chris

2. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,046
    does Sky+ have svideo output? My normal sky box only has RGB or composite.

I had to feed that into an RGB-svideo converter before going into my TV. (I was switching, and needed all s-video)

try an RGB SCART cable to see if you get a better picture. If you need to use svideo for some reason, then you may need a converter.

3. DU02

DU02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yes sky+ has a dedicated s-video output.
    The scart cable i'm using is a fully wired cable so does that mean I am definately getting RGB when it is selected in the sky menu (and connected to the RGB scart socket on the tv)?
    If so why is there no difference in picture quality depending on whether i select PAL/RGB in sky or plug it into the non-RGB scart socket on the tv?
    Is a better quality cable really going to make a noticeable difference?

4. thunt

thunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd be interested in this too. I've just got an LE32r41BD and the DVD picture is good. Everything else is a step back on my old 29" CRT. Tried numerous connections (s-video, RGB scart, normal scart, composite).

PS2 - poor
    Sky - poor
    DVD recorder - very poor
    Analogue TV - Very poor
    Digital TV - OK(ish)

As I say, all looked very good (even analogue TV) on my old set.

Tim

5. jshaw_82

jshaw_82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Have you turned off all picture enhancements, do that then just alter them one by one...

6. johnrp

johnrp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only Scart 1 uses RGB, this seems to work fine with my set, i have also upgraded my scart lead, this has made a big difference.

7. DU02

DU02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    What I don't understand i why I can't see any difference in PQ between normal scart/RGB scart and s-video.
    All the 'enhancements' are off been fiddling with the settings endlessly and the PQ has improved a little just by getting the contrast right but i'm still confused. Maybe the sky signal just isn't high enough quality to notice the difference. If that is so then why the s-video output on sky+?

8. DU02

DU02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    anyone?