Connecting Sky to communial dish / subscription downgrade ......

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Dystran, Aug 21, 2004.

1. Dystran

Dystran
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi peeps,

Two questions if i may ...

(1) I live in an appartment in North london, which now has a communial dish and the Sky connection point all ready within the appartment ready to be connected to.

The installers of the dish don't set up Sky packages themselves (how silly ...)

Ive been told that Sky themselves will not arrange to hook up Sky since its communial dish and they wont do it, instead i need to contact a separate satellite firm to arrange this (at additional cost).

However, a friend said to just book the normal Sky installers and not to tell them about the communial dish. Then the Sky engineer will just hook me up (less work for him as no dish to put up). You think this is okay?

(2) If i subscribe to the full package which allows me to get a reduced connection charge, can i downgrade this package after a month (i only really want the £19.50 package)?

Many thanks if anyone can help or advise!

Rgds
    Gavin

2. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Question 1:
    Yes this is how I did it back when I was stuck on a communal dish. Just book the Sky install as normal. The installer will have a smile on his face when he sees what an easy job he has to do in your flat. Even better if you already have a phone point next to the Sat socket.

Question 2:
    Yes, this is what a lot of people do. Of course $ky will try and convince you otherwise, but it's your choice in the end.

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Be aware that warranty issues will be very complex since SKY will have ZERO interest in fixing a dish/lnb/cable problem and any installer sent out could simply refuse to touch the setup since it should not have been done in the first place under a normal standard install procedure.

If all the connections are in place then just buy a new or used digibox and take out a SKY subscription package of your choice, no phone requirment and no loss of subsidy for not having SKYworld from the get go.
    You also leave yourself the option of having a full subsidised install at some future time should you move home.

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    AV Junkie,

You said: "Just book the Sky install as normal. The installer will have a smile on his face when he sees what an easy job he has to do in your flat. Even better if you already have a phone point next to the Sat socket."

Won't you then be paying £100 for almost nothing?! :confused:

Also, I'm in a similar situation: I have a communal dish (so I've been told), and already have my old Panasonic Sky box (from a year or two ago) to hand. Should I phone Sky on their Customer Services department number (08702-40-40-40) and get the Family Pack for £19-50, and if so, will I still be charged for an installation that isn't needed, seeing as there's no dish to be put-up and no digibox to need connecting up to a phone line or any wiring needed?

Thanks in advance,

Pooch

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    If you already have access to a dish and digibox then SKY will let you subscribe without any further payments for installation work that is not required. So in your case you just give sales a ring and take out the £19.50 package, minimum 12 month contract and no phone requirment.
    There is a special term for a standalone contract, can't recall what it is but the CS rep should understand what you require:)

6. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Yes, if you go down the road suggested by Starburst then can save on unnecessary install charges (if feel up to the work of course). Warranty on the Digibox would be provided by the vendor (if it is a commercial supplier). Service on the building communal system is down to the installer who put it in. This would be up to the landlord to sort in the event of any problems.

Personally, as it was several years ago when I had that install done (in days when I was new to digital sat), I had Sky do the work. Turned out that the landlord had agreed an install discount with the company that did the building install. Perhaps might true in other's case, but if not then you are stuck paying Sky's standard install fee. I asked them at the time if I could have a discount due to the reduced work involved, but they weren't budging.

Only problem I had was that the building installers had cut some corners (to be fair it was very early in the digital sat days), meaning that I couldn't get the full set of channels. Hopefully this shouldn't be happening these days.