1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting Sky, Sony DAV-S300 and Sharp LC26GA4E

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Blakey, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Blakey

Blakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a Sony DAV-S300 DVD, a Sharp LC26GA4E LCD TV and Standard Sky (not Sky+). At the moment these are connected as follows:

Sky -> TV
    DVD -> Surround Sound speakers
    DVD -> TV

1. This means that I can watch Sky on my TV but the sound comes from the TV, not the surround sound speakers on my walls.
    2. Also, I can watch a DVD and hear the sound all around the room, and the picture comes from the TV.

What I would like though, is to get the Sky sounds piped into the DVD system, so that I can listen to the TV with the sounds coming out of the DVD speakers, not out of the TV. That way I can remove the speakers from the sides of the TV and reduce its size. It would also mean I could put the radio on Sky and listen to it without having to have the TV on.

Can someone please explain in simple terms what leads/connections/cables I should be using to get the most out of this setup?

I'm a total nonce when it comes to audio stuff, so please excuse my ignorance!

Thanks heaps
    Blakey

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    A pair of phono leads from the Sky box into the Sony Dav should do it.

3. Blakey

Blakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the swift reply. Sorry, excuse my ignorance, but are we talking 2 connectors at each end? I have an audio connection which has a 3.5mm jack at one end and a double audio (red and black) connection at the other end. I use that to plug my ipod into the DVD to listen to it. Can I use the same cable, or do I need a red/black to red/black cable?

As you can see I really am clueless!! :)

Thanks
    Blakey

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    I'm afraid that I am equally clueless about ipods. I would guess that what you are describing has a pair of phono cables at the end that plugs into the DAV and what you need is a pair of cables with those connectors on either end.

5. Blakey

Blakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorted! Thanks for the help - I went home and rummaged in my cables draw and found an old audio cable - with a left and right audio channel on each end. One plugged into the Sky box, the other into Audio In on the DVD and bingo! I now have Sky coming out through the DVD and can remove the speakers on the TV if I want to.

Thanks for your help!
    Blakey