1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting Sky Digital to your Plasma? - Solution at hand

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by sbelo, Dec 6, 2002.

1. sbelo

sbelo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought the new Hitachi 42" 42PMA400E Panel
    Fantastic- Out performs both the Tosh & Pana products.

Also bought a special cable from Nexnix.co.uk (01403) 756777

I can now display RGB (via Scart) from both Sky Digial & DVD along with viewing the Video on Composite input from the same cable. As well as still being able to video from Sky etc

This cable gives a superb picture on sky as well as other sources.
    And also because it's RGB it out performs both S-VHS & Composite.

Cable cost me £60 + vat & sorted out all of my connectivity problems

Hope this helps

2. JimmyMc

JimmyMc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds interesting..

I'm looking at the hitatchi myself.. hopefully you can give me some pointers on it!

Can you use both RGB1 and RGB2 at the same time?

Also.. am I right in saying, like most other plasmas, you can only have composite OR S-Video plugged in?

I'm guessing my connections will go something like this..

DVD via Component
    NTL Cable to RGB1 using a JS Tech RGB - VGA converter
    PC to RGB2 via ordinary VGA cable
    VCR to Composite
    I've a Dreamcast that I hardly use but I guess I could just unplug the NTL and swap it over..

Is there some kind of 'stretch' mode to re-size 4:3 images? (a bit like the Panny Just mode - it streches certain parts of the screen more than others..)

Hope you don't mind all the questions!!!

PS - How much did you pay for yours? My local store has them at £3995 plus £230 for the stand..

Cheers, JimmyMc

3. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Hi Jimmy,

Just to let you know that www.ivojo.co.uk have the Hitachi for a reasonable £3222, which doesn't include a stand. Quite a saving on your other price though :)

Steve

4. DaveCheltenham

DaveCheltenham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Or if you want to make up your own cable, the connections are Composite Out: 19/17 (E), Red: 15/13 (E), Green: 11/9 (E) and Blue: 7/5(E). The second number on each is the earth screen. Be sure on the Plasma RGB input menu to select the correct sync source; AV.

5. JimmyMc

JimmyMc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I were to take apart a JS Tech (or similar) RGB-to-VGA box, is this what I'd find?

I might have a go at making my own if that's the case! (and probably end up buying one anyway.. my soldering skills aren't what they used to be!)

6. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    Absolutely not :)

There is a lot more to one of the JS boxes than a little cable rearrangement.

You just can't get the quality of sync signal with only a little re-soldering, but it is works for you then good luck, but it will not work with all sources and displays.

Mark

7. DaveCheltenham

DaveCheltenham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Mark - I am not into knocking anyone's equipment. sbelo and myself use a direct RGB input to the Plasma connection board specifically designed for it; this is combined with the sync input to the AV input which is designed to take the composite sync input. I have the Panasonic BNC input board on a PW425B.

If it is convenient to use this arrangement, full attainable RGB quality is achieved as long as reasonable quality cables are used. Arguments put forward for using the Syncmaster or JS units include improved flexibility for different inputs. i.e. Having Component as well as RGB as the Syncmaster or JS units can use the VGA input which requires separate Horizontal and Vertical Syncs. My point in making a posting in the first place was to be of assistance to people who do not need additional units for RGB quality or do not want to spend a lot on a bought in cable.

Hope this clears up any misunderstanding.

8. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    NP, I was reacting to JimmyMc's comment, not your original post :)

Mark

9. JimmyMc

JimmyMc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep - I have been sold on the JS Tech front.. I'll be ordering one soon.. before I get my plasma..

I went and had a nice hours worth of viewing the hitachi earlier today.. We first used a Cyrus (spelt? - sorry.. just got back from the pub so spelling's probably not quite right! ) DVD player and there were some really visible diagonal banding going on.. we wondered if it was due to a lack of progressive scan or something so we swapped to an Arcam.. which cured the fault.. although it also cured it with prog scan turned off.. a bit of a worry if I'll need over a grands worth of DVD player to get a decent pic!!

What I saw though made me very very tempted indeed with the Hitachi but I'm going to hold out until I manage to persuade someone to get a Pio MXE out of stock and demo it.. :) )

10. att

att

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This Hitachi 42" 42PMA400E sounds like an interesting model (even though the fan noise may be disappointing) but can somebody confirm the type of connections it has. The brochure that can be found from http://www.hitachidigitalmedia.com/ lists two analog RGB computer inputs (15 pin mini D-sub and 5*BNC), but also says that the horizontal frequency range is 24-106 kHz, which to me sounds like these connections do not accept PAL/NTSC-based RGB signals, not even when using one of those famous rgb2vga-boxes.
    The connections listed include also one component video input (format: Y, PB, PR or Y, CB, CR). Elsewhere in the brochure they say that "a component video input caters for DVD and HDTV" and "RGB video input allows the plasma to accept RGB signal from DVD players and/or terrestrial boxes". So, what is this RGB video input, is it the same as the component video input or a separate one? In other words, can you connect simultaneously a DVD player with component output and e.g. a digi-tv-box with RGB output to 42PMA400E?

Antti

11. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Broadcast quality sync extractor which gives you true H & V syncs, supported by a little computer running a program written by myself.

There's quite a bit of technology put in to the design of the unit. It's very advanced, going through several prototypes to get to this current design. Any other solution would simply be a step back.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

12. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    For the RGB to Plasma VGA unit to work, you do need a screen which can display from 15kHz. The most popular screens seem to be those from Panasonic and Pioneer, which are both have compatible models. Some of the newer screens from other manufacturers new to plasma screens seem to have decided not to start at 15kHz (bit of an oversight).

However, all is not lost! You can still go for RGB to Component conversion to get an excellent picture.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

13. sbelo

sbelo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

14. JimmyMc

JimmyMc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi sbelo..

Would you mind letting me know which DVD player you are using? i take it you're not seeing the diagonal banding I saw when i went for a dem!

Cheers, James

15. att

att

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, that will be important information.

Does your DVD output progressive scan? If not, the horizontal frequency would be only about 15 kHz, i.e. outside the specs given by Hitachi whereas with prog scan you would get about 30kHz (correct?), which would explain why this works. Do you use both PAL/NTSC prog scan?

OK, sounds good. Thanks for the info.

Antti

16. sbelo

sbelo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi JimmyMc

I use a Sony DVP-S7700
    I do not get any banding at all. Where did you go for a demo?

Against the Pio The hitachi was better particularly on Reds. Ok I aggree that the the Hitachi was noisier, but this is being addressed acording to Hitachi.

If you want to see the Pio or the Tosh (same panel) v the Hitachi mail russ@nexnix.co.uk (He's the MD) I think he has all 3 units set up in his demo suite. He will also be able to advise you on the DVD & will probabally use the top of the range Denon to show you

Hope this helps

Steve
    SBELO

17. sbelo

sbelo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Antti

Re the DVD Output
    I'm using the Sony DVP-S7700 which is not a Prog scan DVD (about 3 years old, but still very good)

As I understand it the Hitachi Panel has a number of multiple use inputs. As you know I am using the Pc inputs to show DVD. There is an option to switch the type of input in the Plasma menu from RGB to Component under both VGA inputs. You are correct I am outputting 15.5KHz and it does not work under the RGB setting. But change it to the Component setting & it works as sweet as a nut.

Hope this helps
    Steve
    SBELO