1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting Sky box to wireless phone?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Stuart Wright, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,399
    Hi,
    I've gone 6 months without connecting my Sky box to the phone line. I'm told that this is in breach of terms and conditions.
    I'm thinking of connecting up the box - especially now I have a second. The problem is that the second box is going down stairs where there is no phone socket. The phones in our house are all wireless with one control unit connected to the phone socket on the middle floor. Hence we don't have any phone sockets on the top or bottom floors.
    Is it possible to buy a cheap wireless phone system with 1 base unit to connect one sky box to (it's near the phone already) and one remote unit I can plug the downstaris sky box into?

2. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, Philips and other manufacturers make what you want and you might find it in "Argos". It comprises two UK square-pin "adapters". Each has a phone socket. You plug them into the wall sockets nearest to your Digibox and your Phone socket. Then connect up the phone cords at each end.

They transmit the dialling and modem signals through your house 230v mains wiring. Damn clever! :)

Fman

3. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    You only have a contractual obligation to connect to a phone line if it's a subsidised receiver.Is it ?

4. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,399
    No - both boxes have been bought second hand and the dish is an ex-analogue one already bolted to the house when I bought it.
    So I don't have to connect them up, then?
    I did ask the Sky operator who said it was just so we could book boxoffice showings. Whether that is right or not we will never buy a movie on boxoffice when we have a 6.1 system downstairs.

5. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,399
    Sounds ideal but can't find any such products on Argos, Maplin, BT or Dixons websites. :(

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The phone requirment on a single digibox is only if it was supplied under a subsidised install offer and then only for the first 12 months.

If you have the mirror subscription then both digiboxes regardless of where they came from or how much they cost have to be connected to the same working phone line for security reasons.

7. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Thomson make a wireless phone extension at around £70 - £80.

8. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    No.
    Be aware though if you do purchase a box office film the $ly operator may try to pull a fast one by claiming that as you don't have the receiver connected to a phone line they will have to apply a surcharge to the cost of the film.Ensure they know that the equipment is not being subsidised.
    As a point of interest you should be negotiating a subs discount since the kit is not subsidised.Do not pay the full amount.If they are reluctant to deal tell them you are going to a cable provider and await the phonecall from a shift supervisor. ;)

9. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,399
    Thanks, all. But conflicting advice from Starburst and Lynx.

10. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As simply as possible:

If a person has obtained a Sky Digibox installation and accepted a discount, he/she will have signed a Sky contract AND the BIB contract which states that the functional Digibox must be connected at all times to a working phone line for a period of 12 months.

Furthermore, if a person has subscribed to a "mirror card" to use in a second Sky Digibox, he/she will have signed a contract which states that BOTH digiboxes must be connected to the SAME phone line *indefinitely*.

I hope that clarifies it. The answer is in the contract(s) that you read and signed.

Fman

11. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,399
    Thanks...exept I have signed no contract for the mirror card. Phoned up Friday to order it and it arrived today.

12. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Ordering and using the mirror card indicates you accept the T&C's of the service, you do not have to sign anything.
    If you do not comply with the phone requirment SKY will be sending you a warning letter at some point, unlike the standard installation where little checking of the phone connection is evident SKY do enforce the mirror subscription conditions.
    If after the warning you still do not comply the second subscription will be charged at full rate.

13. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,399
    Ok thanks for the info.
    I can only find 2 companies offering Wireless phone sockets online. Both are selling the One For All SV1500. Gadgetshop has them for £100 and BuyItOverTheNet.com has them for £80.
    I think BuyItOverTheNet are expensive. E.g. their replacement Sky remotes are £20. Their prices include worldwide delivery.
    It's still a large amount to pay IMO.

Also neither of my Sky boxes came with a phone cable. Presumably there are cheap and easily obtainable?

14. Damo

Damo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spectre

I bought the one from Buy It Over The Net for my in laws last week. They understandably didnt want white cable stapled to their natural wood skirtings for thirty feet to the nearest phone socket. It turned up the day after ordering and works a treat. Looked all over the place for a cheaper one but couldn't find it at any less than 79.99.