connecting sky box to acer x110p projector

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by martin70, Mar 4, 2013.

1. martin70

martin70
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have tried every cable possible from my sky box straight to projector but it does not pick up the signal. Do I have to go through a dvd player? Dont want to buy an hdfury thingy at 50 quid (dont know it will work) as I got my projector for £90.

Any help greatly apreciated

2. StevieBuck

StevieBuck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +674
    Assuming it is a Sky+HD box, you will only get HD quality video if you purchase a converter like the HDfury you mentioned.

You should however be able to connect the SCART output on the Sky box to the projector's Composite input with a basic SCART to phono adaptor/cable:

Scart Adapter - TVCables

The quality from the Composite output will be poor in comparison to the Sky box's HDMI out.

3. martin70

martin70
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi i have one yellow composite input at the projector and have tried this with a scart to yellow composite from sky box and no signal. I get a signal from my wii and ps3. I also have tried the cable that goes from the vga from projector to hdmi at the sky box. Still no luck. Does going through a dvd player help?
    Thanks for response steviebuc

4. StevieBuck

StevieBuck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +674
    SCART connectors are directional. This means you need to use an adapter that supports SCART to Composite. The adapters that are supplied with the Wii and PS3 for example are the opposite - Composite to SCART. If it’s one of these adapters you tried, that will explain why it didn’t work. You should also check the Sky+HD box settings to make sure the SCART output is set PAL (i.e composite), and not RGB.

Unlike SCART/Composite, the signals used by HDMI and VGA are entirely different. For starters, HDMI is digital and VGA is analogue. Connecting one to the other with just a cable will not achieve anything. You need to physically convert the signals from one format to the other - hence why you need a powered signal converter like the HDfury.

Although HDMI - VGA cables are readily available from places like eBay, I’ve yet to see a single practical application of where such a cable can be used.

It’s not that common for DVD players to have input connections that can be used for passing through video signals, unless of course it is a DVD recorder. This could be an option, but a SCART to Composite adapter would be the simpler option. I’d investigate the problem with your SCART adapter first, before going down this route.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,504
    'Although HDMI - VGA cables are readily available from places like eBay, I’ve yet to see a single practical application of where such a cable can be used.' - and we have seen instances where they have fried HDMI chip sets!

'I get a signal from my wii and ps3.' - using which Output (Source) to Input (Projector) combination?

Joe

6. martin70

martin70
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks stevie buck
    the scart adapter you highlighted is something i have for my samsung tv. There is no fitting to my sky box for the other non scart end??????
    ive tried the dvd player but no lick.
    What is the cheapest converter reccomended???
    thanks

7. martin70

martin70
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi joe ands thanks. I get a wii and ps3 picture by simple yellow cable connection and the red and white to audio. This projector thing is really annoying now and would like to know if i have to buy some convertor but would'nt want to pay too much and would need to know if it worked.
    I wonder what pubs use for their projectors to sky box?/?

8. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,767
    S B didn't insert the link - that was done by AVF's system.
    All that you need is a Scart plug into the Sky machine, with three phono plugs - including the one for your yellow video socket on the PJ - on the other side, and a switch so that you get it working the right way round as S B said.

9. StevieBuck

StevieBuck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +674
  10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,504
    ‘I wonder what pubs use for their projectors to sky box?/?’ – Projectors which are HDMI equipped and HD capable!

If the pub is using a ‘legacy’ Projector with no HDMI or DVI with HDCP Inputs they will use an HDMI to YUV converter – Media Factory - HDFury2 HDMI to Component converter

If your projector has a VGA Input and is capable of supporting 1080i @ 50Hz on the VGA port you really want to send that to the Projector via a decent quality ‘converter’.

If you are OK using Composite video then as logical says a SCART to 3RCA (Composite video + stereo audio) will do the trick.

Joe

11. martin70

martin70
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks and you are a great help
    the scart socket you recommend with the switch output /input...does this go into the back of the sky box and I can run a single yellow cable to the the projector from it. I would then run a black and white cable for sound to a seperate unit like i do with ps3?
    Will this work at what seems a low price?
    Really impressed with your responses guys and this forum
    thanks

12. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,767
    That's OK, and yes, that's correct about the plug - aka adapter - not "socket" - and its connections.
    It's also the sort that I described _ "Scart plug....with three phono plugs....on the other side".;)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  13. martin70

martin70
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes and thanks all
    the adapter output and input scart to composite works like a treat on my sky plus box to projector............watched bbc rugby and happy days

cheers

my next problem is how to convert my apple tv hdmi to my acer projector. i have already tried rga to hdmi lead but it does not work.
    any advice

14. StevieBuck

StevieBuck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +674
    As Joe and I have already explained, you will need a converter to go from HDMI to VGA. There's no other way around it.

15. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,504
    HDMI (Digital) is there to prevent you connecting your HD capable Source to the Analogue Inputs of an HD capable Display device.

As per previous Posts you require a device which can defeat HDCP plus convert from Analogue to Digital (HDFury2).

Joe