Connecting SKY+ and DVD Rec to component?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by visioneer, Dec 28, 2006.

1. visioneer

visioneer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi all, I have the following kit:

Toshiba 37WLT66
    Toshiba D-R160 DVD Recorder
    Amstrad PVR3 SKY+ box

I plan to buy a Denon AVR1707 AV Receiver.

I dont want to make a mistake in terms of buying the wrong cables so would appreciate your help in connecting it all up :thumbsup:

My LCD seems to suffer from a well documents problem on these forums in that it has visible horizontal lines displayed when there are dark scenes in DVD's or in general TV viewing through SKY. This happens when either the DVD or SKY is connected by RGB Scart. I've been wondering if it is possible to connect my equipment up avoiding the RGB SCART socket completely.

Last night I ordered a set of IXOS cables - RGB Scart, Component lead and a stereo pair of phono leads. My thoughts were to connect up as follows:

SKY > TV - RGB Scart
    DVD > TV - Component
    DVD (audio) > TV - Stereo phono cable

Since I'm now planning to get an AV Amp I wondered if I could improve on the connections I have ordered? One thought I had was that the AMP I mentioned has two component connections so could I somehow connect both SKY and my DVD via component and then have a single component from the AMP to the TV? That way I wouldnt need to use the RGB Scart socket that causes the problems.

Any ideas? Many thanks in advance.:smashin:

2. kevmarshall

kevmarshall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    The 1707 has 3 Component inputs and one out.

You can feed BOTH Sky and DVD into Amp by Component but you will need one of THESE.There are cheaper makes but this is the best.

There was one on the For Sale forum for about £75 yesterday???
    You can then feed Sky and DVD into Amp via Component for video switching to the TV.(also by Component)

You could then feed the Audio into the Amp by Phono and then to the TV - But why not use the Amp as it was intended and feed separate Surround Speakers for 5.1 Dolby Sound?

You then just need to feed the audio into the Amp using Optical leads from Sky and DVD then out to the 5.1 speakers.

I reckon you will find this set up 10 times better than what you had planned.:smashin:

3. visioneer

visioneer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    My cables arrived today - pretty amazing really considering time of year etc. Plugged them all in and the improvement with the RGB Scart is amazing. Even the wife noticed the difference!! AND, no sign (so far) of the horizontal lines but I'm keeping my eyes open to make sure!

I've connected the DVD up with the component lead but I'm seeing a lot of pixelation and MPEG artefacts (think thats the right term for what I'm seeing anyway). Was watching Minority Report earlier and although the black levels and overall colour was more vibrant the pixelation seemed a lot more noticeable. I plan to watch a few more DVDs tonight to see if it's just that DVD or all of them.

I think for the time being I will stick with the Scart seeing as though it is a lot better but will take your advice re the sound. Both the DVD player and SKY can go into the amp and I've got some speakers from another all-in-one system that I'll plug into it for now.

The scart-component box is a great idea - I'll bear it in mind if I decide to change the setup later. Thanks for the reply :thumbsup: