Connecting sharp LC26GA3E

gslater

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am about to buy a sharp 26GA3E...have been able to locate one for around £1100 after some serious hunting.....need to have the DVI connection for Sky HDTV later this year/early next year so the GA5E was a non-starter.

I will be connecting this up to my Sky + box, panny A360 DVD player and getting the sound to my Yamaha DSPA5 amp.

Any suggestions on connection cables?

RGB Scart for the Sky+ box, and component for the A360 (if it has component out)

Just use the opticals from Sky and the DVD player to your A5. the GA3 can also act as a central speaker in a 5.1 set up if you want, its speaker is more than up to the task.

Thanks.

The A360 does not have component....second choice?

Also, in the medium term I am looking to hook up a HTPC to it...will that affect my choice. Pesumbaly I will just connect the PC to the DVI connetion?

If the SKY+ box has 2 SCARTs and the second SCART allows for RGB pass through you can connect the DVD player with a SCART lead in to the SKY+ box. The 26" Sharps only have one RGB SCART (Input 1).

If the Sky+ box hasn't got RGB pass through, then connect the DVD player to SCART input 2 on the TV and set the signal to S-video on the DVD player and the TV for input 2.

Maybe you want to look at a Toshiba 340E DVD player that allows Prog Scan over Component for £60. Means get a much better picture than S-Video or RGB.

One step further and you could can get a Samsung HD745 for £110. This player has DVI output and upscales to 720p (Progressive) or 1080i (Interlace). If you apply the multi region hack, you can upscale over the component output too.

PC will connect through the DVI-I connection. It will take Analogue as well as Digital so you can have a PC outputting an SVGA signal.

Richie.

Not really sure on the exact cabling....so bear with me:

1) I have connected my sky + box to input 1 using a scart cable....is there any difference between an ordinary scart cable and an RGB scart or are they one and the same?

2) the sky + box has a pass through scart...but I have connected using s-video cable from DVD player to the screen and used composite cables to the amp for the sound...would I still need to have the scart connection to the sky box from the dvd...seems to work ok without it

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom