1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting set-top box to Sanyo Z3 using VGA adapter

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dancingmatt, Aug 3, 2005.

1. dancingmatt

dancingmatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi all

If I connect my set-top DVD or Freeview box to the VGA input on the Sanyo Z3 via an adaptor (such as Sanyo's own one) I know I have to set the "Computer" input to RGB(Scart). But I won't be able to use the colour or tint image settings via this input, although I gather I will still be able to change rgb white balance, rgb gain, rgb offset and rgb gamma.

Is this a problem? Will I have difficulty getting a good PAL DVD or Freeview image without being able to change the colour or tint settings and so should use a Scart-YUV converter instead? Or doesn't it matter since all the advanced menu colour tweaks are still available?

Would appreciate your direct experiences using a Sanyo RGB Scart-VGA adapter, or a different brand for that matter, and whether I'm going to have a problem here...

Of course, would also love to know a cheap place to get the adapter from! :D

Thanks
    DM

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    If you want cheap then get a Keene Syncblaster for Sanyo Z3s - which is basically a straight scart to VGA cable, no sync extraction required!

If you want decent quality get someone like Van Damme to make you up one using decent video cores!!

Regarding quality I don't know. Panny plasmas have had this inability to adjust colour but as you say, the advanced menu gives you what you need. TINT adjustment is irrelevant as it's only for NTSC.