1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting Scart to Plasma

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by eAvatar, Jan 17, 2003.

1. eAvatar

eAvatar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm currently planning on purchasing a Panasonic TH-42PW5B screen (without the tuner box ) and while I'm at it, getting freeview digital TV via a Nokia Mediamaster 221T digibox.

My questions are: firstly, the digibox outputs via an RGB scart, which, to connect to the Panasonic will need to be converted, via a conversion box, to either S-Video or VGA, but which is better, and will I still get 16:9 through VGA? BTW I'm only interested in video, the audio will be run sepparately though an amp. Also, will either affect the component video from my DVD, i.e. can I just switch between them using the remote? Or save different picture settings for each input?

Secondly, for ( comparatively ) low quality digital tv is it neccessary to use a conversion box ( e.g. the one from rgbtovideo.com ) or is there a simpler way that doesn't require mains power? ( sockets are in short supply! )

Thanks, Steve.

2. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +376
    Using RGB from your digibox will give a better picture than s-video ... you will still get 16:9 images through vga and can switch inputs between component and vga on the remote ... the rgc>vga box from JS is the best solution but does require a power supply ...

The keene syncblaster is a cheaper alternative ... search for it on this forum and you will find some users views ... one problem you *may* find is that your digibox does not put out a strong enough sync signal for the cable and you *may* have to use the power cable for the lead to provide that extra oomph to the sync signal ... in which case you are back to square one ...

rgds

Jon

3. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    See the sticky thread but you have four options:

1 -> RGB SCART to RGB+S cable http://www.qed.co.uk/
    2 -> RGB to Component http://www.rgbtosvideo.com/
    3 -> RGB to VGA http://www.rgbtosvideo.com/
    4 -> RGB to Svideo http://www.rgbtosvideo.com/

I have 3+4 and to be honest I can't tell much difference between the quality as both boxes are excellent.

What may sway your decision is whether you need to use the composite port for a Video Recorder, as you can't use Svideo and composite at the same time...

Regards,
    Neil.

4. bluebear

bluebear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    eAvatar,

If all your devices have RGB scart output, then why don't you just buy a SCART to Phono lead ??? (As neil@domino.org states, item1)
    (Looks like this: <http://www.qed.co.uk/cables/sqart/av19.html>)

I have 4 devices connect to my Panny D4, Nokia Mediamaster digibox, DVD, VHS Video(composite) and Sat connected to a RGB scart switching box (£15) and also a SCART to BNC.

Also I have the PC plugged in the VGA input.

If you want the BEST possible picture quality then a SCART to Panny is lead is the way to go with RGB SCART devices.

The problems will come only if you don't have non-RGB devices such as S-video.

Bluebear.
    :D

5. GuitarGray

GuitarGray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bluebear can you tell us more about how you connect your devices please?
    i have dvd, sky, vhs composite video,going to a argos switcher box that can handle rgb with the push of a button.
    all are going to composite at the moment. i want to get a cable to send them all to rgb,,,,will this work?
    i did use a £20 dvd to s-video lead and to be honest saw no difference ,i know technicaly there is 1 but i did not see a diff
    im using a 42 panny plasma screen.
    Graeme

6. bluebear

bluebear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The important thing to note about quality of picture:
    a) Make MUST make sure your devices are all outputted RGB (Setup menu in eg. DVD)
    b) SCART to SCART cables are VERY high quality and fully wired all 21 pins + multiple shielding against RF interference.
    c) Ensure you have got it connected to the correct "SCART" marked RGB socket on your TV!!!

You say that you are only outputting composite only and your switching box is RGB, why don't you use RGB ??????
    The difference is huge !! Test this by entering the SETUP menu on your DVD player and check the text displayed on the screen is PIN sharp just like a PC screen.

I have made my own SCART to RGB cable for my Panny D4, here is the pinout:

SCART ------------------ Panny D4 BNC
    Pin 15 ---- RED -------- RED Signal
    Pin 13 ---- RED GND ---- RED GND

Pin 11 ---- GREEN ------ GREEN Signal
    Pin 9 ---- GREEN GND -- GREEN Gnd

Pin 7 --- BLUE -------- BLUE Signal
    Pin 5 --- BLUE GND ---- BLUE Gnd

Pin 19 --- Comp Sync --- Comp Video
    Pin 17 --- Comp GND ---- Comp Video GND

All you have to do on the Panny D4 is to set the "Signal" setting in the menu to "Sync on Video" and the above cable works fine.

I did replace my home made cable from one from CPC, because mine was a bit thick to fit in the trucking I put in the wall.

I am currently using a 3 way RGB scart switching box, which is great but does not have a remote control.
    See picture of the BTECH BT21-S <http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=54292>:

I have a SCART to RGB+Cvideo lead from the SCART box output to the Plasma.
    I have three SCART RGB devices connected to the switching box inputs (I just unplug one of the devices and plug in the VHS video when I need to watch a video).

I have attached a picture of the CPC cable, be sure to get the correct one, as they are directional !

The picture on the Panny D4 is just brilliant !!

regards,
    Bluebear.
    :D

Attached Files:

7. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  8. eAvatar

eAvatar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the advice people. One question though, about the QED AV19, it says it outputs to RGB Video ( I assume this is equivalent to component video ) and composite video, but my component inputs will be used by the DVD player ( I don't want to use a switch box as I'm going for progressive scan & simplest possible connections for best video quality ), leaving just the composit, which I though was the worst connection option?

Cheers, Steve.