Connecting Satellite to Sharp TV

traceydianeevan

Standard Member
Hi

I’ve just purchased a Sharp 4T-C50BL2KF2AB

it has one satellite (in) connection on it - result I thought, plug the cable straight in - but now wondering if it needs a decoder, as it doesn’t pick anything up.

on googling, some tv.s have a built in decoder, I have no idea what I would be looking for to work out if this one has or hasn’t

I was going to connect s sky q mini box to it anyway, this was just to get free view channels

any thoughts - advice would be much appreciated

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Problem is the $ky Q wideband LNB is incompatible with the TV's satellite tuner.

Swap the LNB for a 'hybrid LNB' to feed the Q box (using the existing two cables, one H the other V) and run another cable to the TV from one of the 'legacy' outlets.

Freeview is the terrestrial service and needs a working UHF aerial into the TV socket.

Freesat is not available on Sharp TVs as far as I can tell, even though it has a free to air satellite tuner built in.
It'll be missing the freesat 7/8-day EPG and correct logical channel numbering plus regionality based on postcode input. Although Android TV may have a software fudge (app) to help with a few of those issues possibly?

traceydianeevan

Standard Member
Thanks for your reply x
I am a novice so am reslt just trying to find the easiest way, without the need for extra cables having to be run 😂

from what I can see - when tuning I have the option of satellite, cable or aerial - the existing satellite cable is the only option in place - this would have been normal sky HD - sky q has never been in this room - I have teo feeds running from the dish - but how/where it’s converted to Q I have absolutely no idea. I was just hoping that the Tv had some sort of built in decoder - but I’m guessing not ?? So presuming my only option to pick up the free channels is to run an aerial to it ??

I’m likely to add a mini Q box via HDMI, so may just have to live with that ?

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Drip feeding information?
Two feeds to a Q box in one room (that used to be $ky HD).?
In another room with this Sharp TV there's another cable that was used with a $ky HD box?
Multiroon sub, or was just able to view the output from the main box?
If the latter the cable will go to the main room and would have been used to feed the RF2 output from the HD box as an analogue UHF TV signal. It won't have a satellite signal at all on it. $ky Q can't do UHF RF modulators without add-on devices.
If the former the Sharp should work as the cable will have been connected to the dish LNB. $ky may have disconnected it though (as the equivalent to multiroom is Q mini boxes)?

Look at the dish LNB where the cables connect:
How many cables are connected?
How many connection points are there on it?
Any 'spare' cables left / disconnected?
Take a couple of good clear close up pics, from different angles, and post if necessary.
Sky Q problems and Installs has some examples of $ky, Q and Hybrid LNBs that might help you identify?

If there is a cable from the LNB to the Sharp room:
Do check the F-plug on the cable used on the Sharp.
It's very easy to bend over the centre pin and not insert it properly into a brand new F-socket on a TV set - and even older sockets {I have the T-shirt}. Then the connection doesn't work!

traceydianeevan

Standard Member
I’m every more confused now - apologises if you thought I was drip feeding information - when you don’t know what your doing it’s difficult to explain properly

so I’ll start again ..
I have sky Q connected to my main TV - I have mini boxes in the kids rooms. I now want to put a new TV (the Sharp one) in my dining room, which previously (years ago) had its own sky box. Therefore it still has two cables connected directly to the dish..

My question is more to do with the TV capabilities - as I was hoping, as the TV has one satellite socket, it meant I could just plug a cable in - but on googling, think a decoder is needed first - I don’t know the terminology to look for to find out if the TV has one, so I am trying to establish if simply connection a cable is actualy a viable option.

hope this makes a bit more sense ???

Fred Smith

I’m every more confused now - apologises if you thought I was drip feeding information - when you don’t know what your doing it’s difficult to explain properly

so I’ll start again ..
I have sky Q connected to my main TV - I have mini boxes in the kids rooms. I now want to put a new TV (the Sharp one) in my dining room, which previously (years ago) had its own sky box. Therefore it still has two cables connected directly to the dish..

My question is more to do with the TV capabilities - as I was hoping, as the TV has one satellite socket, it meant I could just plug a cable in - but on googling, think a decoder is needed first - I don’t know the terminology to look for to find out if the TV has one, so I am trying to establish if simply connection a cable is actualy a viable option.

hope this makes a bit more sense ???
Sky Q requires two cables. But are the cables from the Sky HD box still conected to the dish? That would make four cables.

If the ex Sky HD cables are still connected and working then plug one onto the Sharp TV, (without a signal meter try it and see, tune in and possibly get the FTA (Free to Air) channels not but Sky. If the cables were just left and disconnected and as you have Sky Q that is possible if the LNB was replaced to a two output model, the they will need reconnecting to a new wideband LNB six output model to enable both the Sky Q and the Sharp TV to work.

If you explained why you think you need a decoder it would help.

Also see this thread as it explains a lot:

Last edited:

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Have you looked at the dish yet and the cables from its LNB?

HD Multiroom was via quad LNB. Q multiroom via minis may mean themean/nasty $ky installer fitted a plain $ky Q widband LNB with only two outputs. AIUI subscribers had to be pretty demanding and insistent to get $ky to install hybrid LNB when they had other satellite receivers (e.g. Freesat) connected and in use.

If only two outputs from the LNB, you'd need to get a hybrid installed and the old cables reconnected to it (replaced if water damaged) to work.

Your TV specs say
Digital BroadcastingDVB-T/T2/C/S/S2 (MPEG4 + H.265/HEVC)
and is actually made by Hisense.

IF the LNB is a HYBRID with 6 cable connections (maybe 4 if a recent Q install) and the cables are connected and undamaged, it should tune in something.
Have you checked the cable is connecting properly?
Have you tried both cables, in turn?

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
UPDATE:
Seems I was wrong ref Hisense for Europe, and it's UMC / Sharp:

Satellite tuning: check out pages 47 (terrestrial) and 50 (satellite) of the user manual to see if you can add and tune in sat channels that way?

It's possible that the TV sat tuner is only enabled in Republic of Ireland for Saorsat, although that's not mentioned in the manual, just Saorview (their equivalent of Freeview)?
What Country options are offered in setup mode?

A call to the Sharp/UMC Customer Service number might be in order to confirm that the sat tuner is enabled in the UK?

traceydianeevan

Standard Member
Have you looked at the dish yet and the cables from its LNB?

HD Multiroom was via quad LNB. Q multiroom via minis may mean themean/nasty $ky installer fitted a plain $ky Q widband LNB with only two outputs. AIUI subscribers had to be pretty demanding and insistent to get $ky to install hybrid LNB when they had other satellite receivers (e.g. Freesat) connected and in use.

If only two outputs from the LNB, you'd need to get a hybrid installed and the old cables reconnected to it (replaced if water damaged) to work.

Your TV specs say
Digital BroadcastingDVB-T/T2/C/S/S2 (MPEG4 + H.265/HEVC)
and is actually made by Hisense.

IF the LNB is a HYBRID with 6 cable connections (maybe 4 if a recent Q install) and the cables are connected and undamaged, it should tune in something.
Have you checked the cable is connecting properly?
Have you tried both cables, in turn?
Well - looking at the sky box would have explain something 😂. See image - I can only imaging this was done when I got sky Q ??

sorry for being a bit blonde - I really don’t have much of an idea if it gets past the basics !

I will call sky now - I don’t know if they can reconnect it - and still then I’m not sure if it will work, but that’s got to be the first port of call I guess x

Attachments

• 38D62C77-41D5-4259-BA40-AAAEE4CBA0AA.jpeg
    38D62C77-41D5-4259-BA40-AAAEE4CBA0AA.jpeg
    329 KB · Views: 43

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom