Connecting Satellite directly into DVR

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Splatharri, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Splatharri

Splatharri
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi one and all,

I currently use a Sky+HD unit. and have a Sony RDR-HXD890 HDD/DVR.

Forgive me if this sounds like a noob question (I did search the forum for an answer, but had no joy):

If I were to drop Sky's subscription and receive only Freesat transmissions can I then bypass the Sky box and connect the satellite receiver directly into the DVR and expect it to work?

Peace [​IMG]

Lee

2. Broadz

Broadz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    The Sky box is the satellite receiver. Do you mean connect the cable from the satellite dish directly into the DVD recorder? No, your DVD recorder doesn't have a satellite tuner in it, so you can't select satellite channels on it. It is a Freeview (terrestrial) recorder, so can only tune in to channels received via the TV aerial, not via a satellite dish or via cable (i.e. Virgin).

What you can of course do is connect the cable from the satellite dish to the Sky box, then connect the Sky box scart output to the DVD recorder and record from the scart input. But you will still be using the Sky box to select satellite channels and decode the transmission - all the DVD recorder will be doing is recording the channel being sent to it by the Sky box.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  3. Splatharri

Splatharri
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Broadz - dumb question really.

Am I right in thinking tho that Sky will disable certain functions on the Sky+HD unit after unsubscription, thus forcing me to buy a new PVR?

4. Broadz

Broadz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    If you don't subscribe to Sky TV then you will lose Sky+ functionality, yes. Whether that forces you to buy a new PVR or not is up to you. You say you already have a DVD recorder, so unless you use some of the other Sky+ features apart from being able to record Sky then I don't really know. What else will you miss?

5. Splatharri

Splatharri
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Altho the DVR has EPG, I'm not sure whether it will work with the sky box for timer recording or not.

6. Broadz

Broadz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    As long as you leave the Sky box on the right channel, and set the DVDR to record from its scart input when the programme starts, and to stop recording when the programme finishes, then you should be fine. The DVR's EPG is irrelevent, as this is for its own tuner, not the Sky box tuner.

7. Splatharri

Splatharri
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK thanks.

Will the EPG still function on the Sky box, even if only to list programmes?

8. stuckinstandby

stuckinstandby
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    EPG will function on the Sky box without a subscription.

Your Sony box is (I think) a Freeview+ HDD/DVD Recorder so it will show the Freeview+ EPG and can be used to record programmes from Freeview. It sounds like it can also record from external sources so if there's a programme that's only free via satellite you could (probably) set it up as a manual recording.

Do you have a decent freeview reception?

Are there programmes only available via satellite that you have in mind?

If I were you I'd be looking at the Sony box to replace the the Sky+HD box and switch to freeview.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2012
  9. Broadz

Broadz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    If I were you I'd be looking at the Sony to complement the Sky+ HD box. Use the Sony for recording programmes on Freeview - and on the odd occasion from the satellite digibox when it is a channel only available on satellite, not terrestrial. And use the Sky HD box for viewing - particularly the half dozen free high definition channels which the Sky box will continue to receive but which your Freeview recorder certainly cannot handle.

10. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,788
    For Freesat you need a Freesat machine and one of their PVRs would be the obvious way to go after Sky: http://www.freesat.co.uk/products/freesat-box-range.
    Have we established what you meant about the Sky box and the satellite receiver - aren't they the same thing? :confused:

11. Splatharri

Splatharri
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry, I was probably confusing my terminology in my original message. By 'satellite receiver' I was referring to and should have stated the 'satellite dish' and whether that could be fed directly into the DVR. :facepalm:

12. stuckinstandby

stuckinstandby
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    My situation is similar to Splatharri's. I have cancelled my subscription and have a Sky+ HD box and a freeview PVR to chose from.

[One thing not suggested yet is, if Splatharri has an old blue sky card which was previously used for Sky+, that should enable the recording features in the HD box. This is what I have chosen to do for now.]

If the blue card was not an option for me, I'd be switching to the freeview box. My perspective is opposite to Broadz. The freeview PVR would provide 90% of my viewing and recording needs with the HD box only maybe 10%, so it would make sense to use the freeview PVR for nomral viewing, only switching to Sky HD for specific HD programmes.

There are very few extra channels available via free via Sky that I'd watch. In fact there are probably more extra on freeview that I'd watch - that's not the main reason though - it's down the PVR features. You see something in the EPG, and just click to record. Or pausing live TV. If a non-PVR sky box was my main box I'd have the hassle of switching to the freeview box to set up a recording and couldn't use the live puase & rewind.

I'm sure everyone has a different opinion on this.

13. Splatharri

Splatharri
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Unfortunately, I have never owned an original Sky+ box, as the HD unit was installed when I subscribed 18 months ago, so I don't have a blue card. But I do remember reading that an access card can be bought from Sky that will allow most, if not all functionality to remain on the Sky receiver. Is this still the case?

14. stuckinstandby

stuckinstandby
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    When I said Sky+, I just mean Sky+ features, ie recording Sky on a Sky+ or Sky+HD box.

If you've never had a blue card then it's not really relevant.

Sky do sell a "FreeSatFromSky" card but they won't enable recording on it - your current white card will behave the same as a FreeSatFromSky card when the subscription ends.

You can retain the recording facility for something like £10 a month..

15. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,788
    Until recently we were not sure if it was, now we know that a poster has done it. The Sky+ facilities - all of them - cost £10 a month, which is waived to anyone with a subscription. and Sky will provide them for the charge alone.

16. electricseamus

electricseamus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    When all is said and done the cheapest Sky package saves an awful lot of hassle for £5 a week.

17. stuckinstandby

stuckinstandby
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    No hassle for me and ~£250 a year saved. Actually more since I also switched phone & broadband.