Connecting Samsung BD-DT7800 to the internet

ThinCat

Novice Member
I've just bought a Samsung BD-DT7800 and am struggling to connect it to the internet. I want to do it "wireless" as my router (BT hub) is in another room. The Samsung instructions are pretty impenetrable (to me anyway). Can this be done and what range would the signal have?

Gavtech

Administrator
I've just bought a Samsung BD-DT7800 and am struggling to connect it to the internet. I want to do it "wireless" as my router (BT hub) is in another room. The Samsung instructions are pretty impenetrable (to me anyway). Can this be done and what range would the signal have?

The information I have gleaned on this unit is that it only has facilties for a wired LAN... not wireless.

So are you using a wireless adaptor? The other option would be 'homeplugs'

Edit Update... I see from better information [ always a nightmare with samsung products].. that the unit IS supposedly equipped with wireless networking support.

It is virtually impossible to give a quoted range for any wi-fi installation as results are so circumstantial.

Can you get the machine close to your router... That would at least rule out the range problem and allow you to concentrate on other issues.

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
Read a couple of posts and also the Wireless Interference sticky in the Networking and NAS section.
A wired connection is always preferable and worth trying first just to check the basic LAN functions work.
Then try wireless with the Samsung within a few feet of the wireless router (for the reasons stated in Gavtech's reply).

ThinCat

Novice Member
Hi, back again. I'm getting a bit further. I've attempted to configure the network settings in the Samsung to connect to the BT home hub and I seem to be able to get a connection between the Samsung and the hub OK - there's a good signal strength and the graphics indicate that the this connection has been successful. But when the hub then tries to connect to the internet it fails (a red cross appears on the link). It says "Check the DNS setting from the network setting and contact your ISP. When I look at the DNS setting on the Samsung it's all set to 0.0.0.0, so I guess this is the problem. I've talked to the BT Indian help line on this and they are absolutely clueless (I know more than they do, which indicates how clueless they are).

I'm assuming that the BT home hub can support both the PC (attached via an ethernet cable) and a wireless connection to the PVR (though, I guess, not at the same time). Another thing that confuses me is that I thought the connection between the Samsung PVR and the BT home hub would be nothing to do with the PC, but when I looked on the PC it "knows" about the PVR now, so I guess the home hub has sent it this data. Is there anythingI need to enable on the PC to get this link working? None of instruction manuals I have is any use at all.

darucla

Novice Member
Try seting DNS to 8.8.8.8 and the secondary to 8.8.4.4 These are the Google free DNS servers. If there is a Gateway setting, that should be set to the IP address of the router.

ThinCat

Novice Member
I tried that setting and it didn't like it much. I eventually manually set the DNS IP address to the same as the gateway address (returned by the DHCP server) and that worked. So it's all working now.

I don't see how people are meant to set this stuff up with the instructions provided.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom