Connecting Samsung and denon home cinema to Internet

DrPips

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm finally catching up with the rest of the world and want to advantage of some of the features I can apparently access using my tv and the Internet.

My current setup is:
Tv - Samsung LE37C580
BD Player - BD-C5300
AV receiver - Denon AVR 1312
X-Box 360

Basically, I want to connect this setup to the Internet so I can stream films with Lovefilm and use iPlayer and YouTube. My modem and router is right behind the TV, so that should be easy?!

What do I connect to what? Also, how do I make sure I can listen to streamed films in 5.1? I don't know if Lovefilm do this or not yet, but they will surely at some point.

I'd also like to be able to watch some content that I have on my laptop, which is kept in another room. This laptop is on the same home network, but connected wirelessly.

Any help would be much appreciated. I used to know what I was doing with this kind of thing, but it seems to have advanced past me in the last couple of years!!

Please can someone help me with this? I'm really confused and would like to try and sort it today.

Thanks,

Dom

The Xbox 360 can connect to most of the TV on demand services and as far as I know it can connect to YouTube. The same probably applies to your Bluray player.

Connect each network enabled device to your router using an ethernet cable. Ethernet cables cost pennies so connecting each device to your router won't cost much. If you run out of ports on your router, simply add an ethernet switch.

Wireless can work okay for video but I would suggest using a wired solution. To this end, I would recommend some homeplugs to connect the laptop to the router in the living room. I use some SimplerNetworks homeplugs that have a plug socket on them so you don't lose an electrical socket when you plug them in. I got them from ebay.

For streaming your media you will need to install a media server. If you have Windows, there is one built into Windows Media Player. I don't like it but it is probably designed to work with the Xbox 360 as both are Microsoft. LINK. As I said, I don't like WMP and used alternative media server software e.g. PS3 Media Server and TVserity. Check for Xbox 360 compatibility.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Just noticed the topic title - you won't be able to connect the Denon AVR-1312 to the internet as it is not network enabled.

There's no Ethernet input on the av amp, but say I connect the blu ray to the home network, will anything on the network play through the blu ray player? Or will it only play in stereo?

I had a quick look at the manual and the Samsung site for your bluray player. It appears for YouTube, you need to update the firmware:

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/BD-C5300/XEU (Click on the FAQ link)

See page 26, 52-56 of your manual. I have no idea what audio output you will get from network services on your bluray player but would imagine it will be stereo which you should be able to apply dolby pro logic ii etc. using your AV receiver to get audio from all of the speakers. Buy some ethernet cables, hook them up and try it.

So I definitely won't need an optical cable to o from my tv to av amp? That's what somebody told me, but I didn't understand why. All my components are connected to the av amp by hdmi cables, then another hdmi from av to tv.

Also, is it easy and safe to update firmware?

Thanks for your advice

Sorry, your link has a link to how to update the firmware, looks quite straight forward

So I definitely won't need an optical cable to o from my tv to av amp? That's what somebody told me, but I didn't understand why. All my components are connected to the av amp by hdmi cables, then another hdmi from av to tv.

Also, is it easy and safe to update firmware?

Thanks for your advice

You would only need an optical cable from the TV to hear audio from the TV's tuner or features. I don't think the AV Receiver or TV has Audio Return Channel (ARC) so to hear dolby pro logic ii from TV programmes, then yes you will need the optical cable. No need to spend £lots, £5 will buy you a perfectly decent one. Unfortunately if you're going to the shops today to buy cables, you will end up spending more if you go to the likes of Currys/Comet as they only deal with the overpriced stuff. Try a local independent dealer, Richer Sounds, Superfi, Sevenoaks etc. At least there, you won't be paying over the odds for Monster etc.

I don't watch anything through the tv tuner, only sky, which is hdmi to av amp. So I'm guessing an optical cable would be pointless. Sorry, I really am clueless with all this

You didn't mention Sky. With Sky you need to connect using optical to get Dolby Digital 5.1 as the Sky box only outputs stereo over HDMI. To get DD5.1 you will need to visit the receiver's setup menu and assign the optical input to the HDMI input and tell the receiver to prioritise optical over HDMI for audio.

I'm not sure if Batpig's guide applies to the **12 models but take a look here:

BATPIG'S DENON-TO-ENGLISH DICTIONARY

Ok, think I've got most of it sorted now. The only think I'm struggling with is streaming stuff from my laptop, to blu ray player. I can't seem to find anything on the blu ray player that will allow me to do it. Found plenty of laptop based servers, but no way to connect to them. The blu ray player is on my home network

I don't think you can stream to the bluray player. You will have to stream to the Xbox 360. Follow the link in one of my previous posts.

DrPips said:
Sorry forgot about sky. I didn't think I'd need to change that! Never mind. So sky doesn't output 5.1 over hdmi, but a blu ray does? Would this optical cable do the job, or would I be better ordering one online? Buy Belkin Optical Audio Cable - 1.8m at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for HDMI cables, scart leads and accessories, HDMI cables, scart leads and accessories.

Dom

Buy one online for a fiver. Fisual Pro at Amazon or audiovisualonline.

Your bluray player outputs all audio formats inc. HD over HDMI.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom