Connecting S-Video VDV to SCART TV?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Matty, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Matty

Matty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need a bit of advice; just starting out on the Home Cinema scene and I've bought the Sony DAV-S500 complete setup - DVD, speakers, woofer etc.

However, I notice that it does not have a SCART socket but my tv (Philips Widescreen jobby) only has SCART at the back - how can I connect the two up?

I think there is a cable that connectes S-VHS to SCART, is that the way to do it?

Also, my telly lists the possible connection types on the SCART as being CVBS, Y\C or SVHS - what do CVBS and Y\C stand for?

Apologies for sounding like a total retard but this is all new to me!

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    An s-video to scart cable is what you need which will give you the s-video signal to the scart socket but unfortunately will not give you automatic widescreen switching which is only available on a fully wired scart to scart cable.

S-video is also known as Y/C.

Never heard of CVBS but the CV bit will be either composite video (poor quality) or component video (top quality but not available from your DAV500

Ian

3. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,464
    Y/C is Lumience and Chromience...basically one signal is colour, and the other is the amount of colour.....thats why you sometimes get a black & white using an s-video lead, and your TV is in incorrect mode.