1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting s-video to AV receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by davvey, Oct 22, 2005.

1. davvey

davvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am buying an AV receiver (pioneer 814), but despite searching the forums (all evening), I am none the wiser.
    I intend to connect the DVD player and PS2 into the Pioneer with component leads, and then use a component lead to my projector. I also intend to connect a sky+ box to the pioneer, using s-video leads.
    My question is; will the pioneer be able to output the sky+ s-video signal via the component cable going to the projector?

2. joffy1780

joffy1780

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Afraid not,mate.

3. davvey

davvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I was afraid that could be the case (thanks for the fast reply though). I guess that I will have to run a 10 metre s-video cable into the projector from the sky+ box, although my concern is how bad the sky+ picture will end up? Not that I intend to watch sky through the projector too often, but it would still be nice to have a reasonable picture when i do. Would I be right in thinking that even if the pioneer 814 had 3 component inputs, that I still would not be able to connect the sky+ to it without one of the £155 signal converters I have read about (or have i completely lost the plot again)?

4. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    If you get a resonable s-video cable it sould be ok, i have used a decent quality, non branded s-video lead for years (bought it from a local computer shop) of a simialar length and the signal difference over a shorter cable really wasn't evident.

If the cable isn't shielded keep it away from power and speaker cables for best possible picture, but all in all it should be a decent picture.

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    You are correct. Sky+ outputs RGBcvS and not component and the 2 are not compatable with each other without hardware conversion.
    If you want a cheaper version (but not as good) of the RGB2YUV converter than those from JS-Tech then there are the Syncblasters available from Here with different versions available depending on what type of inputs you have on the PJ. Be aware though that only the TV scart of Sky+ will output RGBcvS, the VCR scart only outputs composite and therefore will not work with the converters.

Mark.

6. gnikolaidis

gnikolaidis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Better yet, buy a receiver that can upconvert S-VHS to component like the new Yamaha's. The new Yamaha's support upcorvesion of Video->S-VHS->Component and are also compatible to HDTV signals up to 1080i

This way you can connect all your sources to the receiver and output a single signal from the component output of the receiver.

7. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    i think most of the denons upconvert as well now....