1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

connecting RMB 1075 to an RC-1070 and a Sony Receiver!

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by gavp, Dec 30, 2004.

1. gavp

gavp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    As I only have a DVD player for movie and audio playback how can I connect these three items so that when listening to music I can use simply the two Rotels as a 2 channel set-up and when I want to watch a DVD combine all three, is this possible without damaging my beloved equipment?
    Eventually I intend to obtain a Rotel RSP-1068 to pair with the 1075 but that is about 6 months away so I'm gonna have to live with this set up until then and I don't fancy plugging and unplugging leads every time I want to watch a film???? I have seen other people on the forum who have pre/power combos then used a Yamaha DSP-E800, can my system work similarly, will I need a seperate CD player...... help :lease:

2. KW1816

KW1816

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I would simply give up and sell the Rotel power amps - by shear chance I happen to be looking to buy a RMB-1075 :devil: :devil: :devil:

Just kidding - can't help with your connection problem but good luck !

3. gavp

gavp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Try Unilet http://www.unilet.net/prices/2004bluelist.htm I bought mine from here for £509 may still have some? My problem is that the RC-1070 is a stereo pre-amp i got for a good price to compare against the Sony receiver and needless to say I was blown away by how good it sounds, but I only have one set of 5 speakers one DVD player and a stereo pre, a 5 channel power amp and an AV receiver, should I just flog the sony, buy a Yamaha DSP-E800 and save for a decent processor thats good in two channel? If so does anyone have any suggestions :suicide:

4. spiver

spiver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Firstly the RMB-1075 is excellent for music and movies theres not much to touch it at the price so keep it. Sell the 1070 and get an RSP-1068 or a used RSP-1066. The Yamaha DSP-E800 is a good unit if you dont have a 5 channel amp so dont bother, but you will only end up selling it. Spend your cash on the processor and a good pair of main front & center speakers.

Spiver

5. gavp

gavp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Think i'm just gonna use the Rotels for Hi Fi and use a QED speaker switchbox so I can use the Sony for movies can't afford the processor yet... such is life! Myspeakers are fine bought the Acoustic Energy Evo 3B 5.1 package, can't recommend it enough, apart from the sub that is... thats also on the shopping list maybe £350 to spend so new thread in the subwoofer section is called for!

6. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    slightly similar question:

I have an E800 which has the audio outputs of my video sources connected to it (DVD, Sky, VCR).

I've got my audio sources (CD, Tape, Turntable, tuner and the front speakers from the E800) connected directly to my 2-channel amp, since I've heard that the E800 is not as good an audio processor as a decent 2-channel amp.

My Question is:

If I bought something like the RMB1075, I could connect it to ALL the pre-outs of the E800, effectively use the E800 as a processor/pre-amp only. I know the E800 is not the latest technology but figure I can extend its life by improving the amplification.

If I did this, and connected all my audio sources to the E800 would the E800 process the CD's audio signal (and hence degrade the signal) or would it pass through unharmed to the power amp?

If the CD's signal is going to get processed/mangled by the E800, am I better of upgrading my stereo amp for a new, better stereo amp to keep handling my 2-channel audio signals? If so, are there power amps designed to look after the remaining (rear and centre) speakers?

7. simonb68

simonb68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi gavp, if your Sony receiver has pre-outs then I think what you can do is connect your DVD player to the Sony via a digital connection. Pre-outs on the Sony for front L & R speakers to an input on the RC-1070, pre-outs from the RC-1070 to 2 inputs on the 1075. Then connect pre-outs on the Sony for centre and left and right rear speakers to the other 3 inputs on the 1075. Wire your speakers to the 1075 appropriately. Then connect the analogue out of the DVD player to another input on the RC-1070. So when listening to music, Sony is turned off, RC-1070 and RMB-1075 is on, analogue DVD input selected on the 1070, 2 channel system. When watching movies, all units are on, input from Sony selected, adjust the volume on the RC-1070 to match that of the centre and left and right rear speakers, and use the volume control on the Sony to control volume for all 5 speakers. Remember the position of the volume control on the RC-1070 and set it back there each time you watch a movie.

I think that will work, hopefully someone else will chime in and confirm.

However, without wishing to sound rude, depending on the quality of the DVD player, you may not hear much difference between the Sony and the Rotel and convenience might mean you just stick with the Sony for 2 channel and movies.

Definitely look at a Rotel processor, 1066s are going cheap now the 1068 is out.

Hope that helps some
    Simon

8. gavp

gavp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    theo cupier, if your gonna splash between £500 and £800 quid on a 1075, i reckon you simply upgrade to B1 amp youve got, for £500 the Rotel RA-1062 (not sure if 60w or 90w) is a cracking amp and looks good too, also Roksan Kandy mk111 (120w!) gets good reviews, when watching a film the rear channels aren't always in use and even if the centre channel is for dialogue, i actually prefer to hear a flatter sound field from the front, if it sounds like everythings coming from the centre its v annoying IMHO
    simonb68 i am going to give it a test tonight or tomorrow, fingers crossed...