connecting radeon 3800 series with samsung 7 series lcd using hdmi/dvi

Andro

Standard Member
I got radeon 3800 series graphic card, which also supports sound. It has only dvi output. When i connect it with samsung 7 series lcd tv using hdmi/dvi cable, i can see only picture and cant hear sound.
ATI Radeon™ HD 3800 Series - Overview is my graphic card.
There is written: "integrated digial outputs – Enjoy your digital content the way you want to, with built-in HDMI that includes 5.1 surround audio for big screen entertainment. "
Im pretty lost, ati popup-ed me this http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/9595/79477224ar8.jpg , but this grahpic card supports hdmi
Ive tried to look answer how connect it using only hdmi/dvi cable but i coulndt find any answers. It should possible...

I would really appreciate if somebody could help me little bit with this :)

ziffius

Some HD3xxx cards have HDMI built in and some don't, this is decided by who ever manufactuered your card . Yours doesn't have HDMI, you will need a ATI DVI to HDMI dongle. These are normally in the box with these graphics cards, a normal one wont do as it has to be an ATI branded one to carry sound. Neither will a DVI to HDMI cable work either, It must be a straight HDMI to HDMI cable plugged into the ATI HDMI to DVI dongle.

Last edited:

Andro

Standard Member
Okay, thanks man. Ill order new cable but this time hdmi to hdmi. i got that ati conventer dongle in my graphic card box.

But one question, i read somewhere that some hdmi cable has to be 1.3 something. Is it important or not? in amazon the are 1.3b and things like that...

MjWoNeR

Novice Member
It also depends on the player you use.

I recently got an ATI card for the audio through DVI as well, it was a bit tricky to set up but it worked out nicely in the end.

I use Media Player Classic Home Cinema Edition for all my video needs.
AC3filter has an option to send the audio through digital.

ziffius

Okay, thanks man. Ill order new cable but this time hdmi to hdmi. i got that ati conventer dongle in my graphic card box.

But one question, i read somewhere that some hdmi cable has to be 1.3 something. Is it important or not? in amazon the are 1.3b and things like that...

I believe the HD3xxx only support HDMI v1.2 anyway, so it shouldn't really matter.

Andro

Standard Member
It also depends on the player you use.

I recently got an ATI card for the audio through DVI as well, it was a bit tricky to set up but it worked out nicely in the end.

I use Media Player Classic Home Cinema Edition for all my video needs.
AC3filter has an option to send the audio through digital.

I tried that, didnt work. Thanks anyways

I think im going for the new cable then...

Andro

Standard Member
Okay everything works now. ATI dongle and hdmi/hdmi cable did it.

Only thing is that i have to change audio output to "ATI HD output" if i want to watch something in my tv from my pc and for my pc speakers i have take "REALTEK HD output" , from control panel/sound and audio devices/audio.
But thats a minor thing.

Anyways thanks for helping out :)

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom