• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Connecting QED Silver Anniversary to Yamaha Amp - HELP!

pthomson

Standard Member
Hi Guys,

I'm really stuck here as i have never used the screw in type speaker terminals. My problem is that when i put the speaker cable into the front hole of the terminal, and then screw until tight, it doesn't actually tighten and i can easily pull the cable straight out. The only other option is to put the speaker cable in the gap between the back panel and the back of the terminal but that seems to difficult to be true.

Do i need spade connectors or banana plugs?

Can anyone please help a newbie out :lease:

Last edited:

MarkTaylor

Prominent Member
If you are just pushing the cable straight into the back of the terminal so it is pointing at the amp then that will not work, that hole is for a banana plug (but you may need to remove a blanking plug to use it that way).

How old is your Yamaha amp? You might want to check this thread as depending on age you may have a problem if you want to use banana plugs :

http://www.avforums.com/forums/inte...hes/914991-banana-plugs-have-i-unblocked.html

The normal way to connect bare wires is as you have noted, between the face of the terminal and the back of the amp so it tightens down on the cable.

pthomson

Standard Member
Hi Mark,

I have just purchased 10 gold plated banana plugs and they are indeed to big for the holes at the back of the terminals :mad:

Hopefully i will be able to return them. I'll try to connect the speaker cable to the back although i really frustrated with this design. Compared to the old pincer type connects that i am used to these terminals are very difficult to use :(

pthomson

Standard Member
If you are just pushing the cable straight into the back of the terminal so it is pointing at the amp then that will not work, that hole is for a banana plug (but you may need to remove a blanking plug to use it that way).

How old is your Yamaha amp? You might want to check this thread as depending on age you may have a problem if you want to use banana plugs :

http://www.avforums.com/forums/inte...hes/914991-banana-plugs-have-i-unblocked.html

The normal way to connect bare wires is as you have noted, between the face of the terminal and the back of the amp so it tightens down on the cable.

Right, have managed to setup everything up by simply putting the wire through the space in the back as originally thought.

Can anyone advise as to whether it's worth it to buy gold plated banana plugs that would fit the small yamaha holes?

MarkTaylor

Prominent Member
It's not that simple the banana plugs are all the same size, the question is does your Yamaha amp have the more recent removable blanking plugs in the connections or is it old enough to have the permanent blanking plugs fitted?

I wouldn't worry too much though, if you have the speaker wires fitted already then the only real advantage of banana plugs is the easy of removal and the ability to ensure you don't get any stray strands of wire shorting between terminals.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom