1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting PW6, E55 DVDR and Sky - please help.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by arthur, Nov 7, 2004.

1. arthur

arthur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly, apologies for yet another "how do I connect...." post. I am a newbie (this is my first post). I have read MANY MANY of the threads in this forum, and have digested much useful advice which has taken me a long way down the decision process, but I am afraid am still not 100% certain that I have understood all that I need to, hence this post. Thanks in advance for any help.

I’m basically starting from scratch. The new set up I want (I think) is a 42” plasma with a DVD Recorder and an old Sky box (probably replaced with Sky+ soon). That's it. Very simple by some of the standards I have read on this forum! I’m not bothered about analogue tv reception, nor particularly at the moment about home cinema surround sound, although I would like to know that I can add an AV amp and 5.1 speakers at some point.

So, what I have in mind at the moment is a Panasonic TH42PWD6 plasma and a Panasonic DMR-E55 DVD recorder. What I'd like to get clear with your help is the easiest/cheapest decent way to connect this lot together with the Sky box.

My understanding, mainly from various posts by Hornydragon, is that I will be able to connect Sky/Sky+ to the E55 via RGB scart. Then I connect the E55 to the plasma via either RGB scart or (preferably) component video (to get progressive scan), and that will be all the video connections I need (i.e. no need for a separate scart direct from the Sky to the Plasma, since the E55 can pass through the RGB signal from the Sky scart to the composite output, right?).

But, please can someone confirm once and for all that set-up is correct i.e. it will work and give decent picture quality? I have spoken to and emailed numerous retailers (including the apparently much-revered AV Sales) and have received endless conflicting advice, ranging from the dismissive "don't-be-daft" to the plain confusing. No-one seems to believe or know (and some just don't care) whether the E55 can really convert RGB Scart IN to component OUT. So if someone can assure me of this, I'll be a very happy lad.

If that is all correct, then if I go for the PW6, I have a follow up question: can I connect with a suitable lead the component DVD output straight to the VGA input provided on the plasma? Again I have read many posts stating that the PW6 VGA can take component input (as opposed to the PW7 which can not, apparently), but am confused as to whether that means a simple component-to-VGA lead will do the job (I have seen several for sale on retailers' websites) or whether some expensive converter is required as well.

If a simple lead won't do the job, presumably I am then best getting a component board for the PW6 and just connecting component to component, avoiding the VGA? Is there any difference in quality between doing it that way or doing it via VGA?

Finally, if you'll allow me one last question, I do have an old VCR which I assume I could then connect via scart to either the Sky box or the E55 (if there is still a free socket i.e. if the component output has been used to connect to the plasma), so that I can view old video tapes or to transfer them to DVD if I want to. Correct?

That's the lot. Sorry its a long post, but I wanted to set it all out so that (hopefully) its easy for someone to answer.

I realise that I have not mentioned any audio. I'll get my head round that once I know I've properly understood the video side first!

2. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    YES
    a simple component-to-VGA lead will do the job
    or a RGBHV BNC to VGA lead for £6 from ebay (just use r,g,b for Pr,Y,Pb)

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    correct arthur all you need to do is: TV scart on Sky>AV2 on E55 with good scart lead both boxes set to RGB... the 3 RCA (phono to 15 pin D-sub lead to connect compontent out of E55 to VGA socket on PW6 (this wont work with PW7 as far as i am aware (av-sales give you a choice of free input board any way so i reconmend the dual slot board) and i aslo reconmend the £199 Extra 2 years warranty cover total price £1580 for screen and board, £125 is for mount£220 for Multiregion E55 £199 for waranty and £80 for cables brings it all in for £2200 not bad for a top flight SD 42" plasma and 3 year on site hot swap warranty...

4. EpsomJames

EpsomJames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have exactly this set-up, a PW6, DMRE55 and SKY+. I have the SKY+ scart into AV2 of the E55 and at the moment scart from AV1 into scart terminal on plasma.

However, I have recently bought a component board from MAW and will be connecting the E55 to the component board to get progressive scan. The component-to-VGA lead isn't an option for me as I have the onboard speakers at the moment for sound.

If you can get a free board when you buy the plasma get a component one.

5. Cool Man

Cool Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Arthur.. this is what i was looking to do .. nicely worded... but can anyone answer the question on whether the PQ is better when going through the VGA board or the component board with this set up ?

6. FBI Warning

FBI Warning

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Will this config work with my Panasonic PW4? It has a component/RGB in and VGA. I plan to run as follows:

Freeview RGB/Playstation RGB > RGB switch > Panny RGB in
    Arcam DV78/89 Component > *above suggested lead > Panny VGA in
    VCR composite > AVR200 VCR in > Panny composite in

(I need the VCR via the AVR200 input to access the Arcam menu on screen).

At the moment I have a Techtronics chipped Sony DVD also hooked via the RGB switcher whose output is boosted with a Keene RGB amp lead but want to get the best (ie prog scan) out of the new Arcam (78 or 89 subject of another question in Arcam forum).

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    i think with the PW4 you woud be better off with Quintro and JS RGB>VGA box However needs a bit more thought.... Issue is really the PS2 as i dont think E55 will be able to convert the PS2 signal to component.. Copy protection????
    Run RGB sources to VGA and DVD to component and VCR AVR to composite...... Iscan HD is other option £1000 you need a demo........

8. gstadt

gstadt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    HD

I was thinking of daisy chaining my PS2 into Freeview, into E55 as you describe and then on to the VGA port - are you saying you can't do this because of copy protection??

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I cant guarntee it will work

10. jasonl

jasonl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    HornyD

since you have been recommending the E55 quite highly, how would you rate the dvd playback (PQ) of this unit in comparison to, say a Pio575 in progressive scan mode? also, does the e55 do ntsc-progressive scan?(as it wasnt mentioned in avsales' site)

cheers

11. David

David
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the JS converter accept both RGB and S-Video scart inputs, (at the same time)?

12. spook

spook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    EpsomJames, did you realise that the PW6 has a stereo mini jack socket that works in conjunction with the VGA input, so in effect you can have on board stereo sound along with the VGA connection.

also for anyone that's interested, the component board for the PW6 has 2 phono connections on the module for on board stereo sound.

there is a way to get stereo sound into the panny to work along side whichever connection type you choose.

cheere Spook

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    NO RGB only there is no support for S-video to VGA conversion E55 I think is NTSC and PAL PROG scan in fact i am sure it is..... DVD replay is OK (remember its a £200 recorder and you probably will see a better PQ on a dedicated player) Prog scan is not to hot....... most plasmas will do a better job de-interlacing video than an E55... the real bonus of this unit is the RGB>YUV conversion for £200 ish including time shifting Sky/Cable and archiving from Sky+ etc

14. Nick_T

Nick_T
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking of getting an E55 to go along with a new plasma (see this thread: http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?...m/forums/showpost.php?p=1291392&postcount=113)and was planning on getting the E55 to convert Sky+ to component video and have a component video source for playing DVD's (replacing my Pioneer DV-545 DVD player).

Reading your post Hornydragon I am concerned that the E55 may not be the best choice for quality and that my original idea to get a JS Tech RGB to Plasma Screen VGA converter or the RGB to Component (YUV) converter and plug my current DVD player through this along with the Sky+ box (passing though the DVD player) will be a better qulaity solution!? :confused:

What would you recommend? I am not fussed about the DVD recorder, more so about the DVD player being component out... are there any other dedicated DVD players which will convert RGB Scart to component video at the same sort of price?

:lease:

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    For best PQ a JS box and seperate DVD player would be best.....
    But DVDR adds more functionality at a lower price......up to you mate £125 converter and £200-£300 DVD player or a £220 DVDR....................................

16. Nick_T

Nick_T
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers HD!

I think I am over complicating things for myself here :rolleyes:

I was looking at the Pioneer DV-575 DVD player to replace DV-545 instead of getting the DVDR... but now thinking for convenience and saving a few quid the DVDR might be the better option.

Trouble is I would like coax digital audio out for DVD player which the E55 doesn't have. :(