Connecting ps3 with sony dav home cinema system

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by sunny200350, Jan 17, 2008.

1. sunny200350

sunny200350

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Im very new to this, but ive recently bought a sony DAVDZ830W, I got the DVD working with the surround, but i cant seem to connect the Ps3 with the optical connection. Can someone please help in very simplifeid step what i got to do. Thanks:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::lease::lease::lease:

2. The Atheist

The Atheist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +401
    You need to connect the optical from the PS3 to the optical in on the sony DAVDZ830W, then make sure the PS3 is set to output its audio via optical (via the audio settings on the PS3's menu). You may also need to make sure the sony DAVDZ830W is set to receive audio via optical.

3. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    Just before we get too far into this, given that the DAV does not appear to have any HDMI inputs I presume you are not hoping to get any of the HD sound formats from blu-ray played on your PS3, just good old fashioned DD and DTS?

As long as that bit is clear then we can progress, are you having problems physically connecting the cable or is it that you get no sound when it is connected?

If the latter then you will need to set the PS3 to output sound over optical, if that has been done then it should be working.

Is the PS3 linked to a TV by HDMI or something else?

4. sunny200350

sunny200350

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey mark n hey athies, thanx for your inputs... i was hoping for the hdmi surround but if its not capable then i supose its not capable :) instead of that DVD if i was to buy an amp that can conect my Ps3 and sky box to give me that super sound which one would u suggest?? ok thats another story altoghether, ill try what u said, my TV is conected to ps3 via HDMI and sky box to my TV via AV1 and now ive conected my DVD to TV via AV2.... ive place the optical cable into the optic conection of the dvd player from the ps3...if i was to set the audio output to optic will i lose the quality of sound coming from the TV???

5. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    With the PS3 you will need to decide where you want the sound to come from or be prepared to change the PS3 option according to need as it will either send it over the HDMI to the TV or via optical to the DAV.

If we talk about amps then it is a bigger question as you'll need to budget for speakers as well but you'll need to move into the £3-400 territory to get an amp that will do what you want so I'm not sure if that is a viable option for you.

6. sunny200350

sunny200350

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well ok, if tht what it wil take then i suppose its worth the money... but will the speakers ive got with the DAV be sufficient? can i connect the ps3 and the sky box to DAV? or am i asking for too much?? ps. i really apreciate you help

7. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    I wouldn't try and use the DAV speakers with anything else, but slow down before you rush head-long into another investment.

What you have got will give you 5.1 surround sound, it just won't handle the newer HD audio formats but that only really matters if you are going to stop buying DVD and buy blu-ray from now on.

If you are not planning to go that way just yet then pause and enjoy what you've got for a while.

You're going to need to budget at least £5-600 to get into HD audio (amp and speakers) with anything that will be worth listening to when you get there and preferably more so don't just rush out and spend just yet.

Use the optical connection to the DAV and see how you get on with that first, the video from the PS3 and the Sky box will need to go to the TV but the DAV can still handle the sound for you.

8. sunny200350

sunny200350

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanx mark u been a great help.... ill be back soon and let you know how i get on and thanx for eveything...cheers:clap::smashin::smashin::smashin:

9. conners

conners
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, im a bit new to this game aswell and im in a very similar situation.

The time has come for me to go HD so i just forked out for a few new toys, i got myself a sony KDL40W3000 tv which comes with the DAV-IS10 home cinema system and i'm getting a ps3 too. I'm probably getting the PS3 more for the blu ray films than the games (especially with the current selection of games).

So my question is the same, can i get HD sound from my DAV-IS10 speakers via blu ray from the PS3?

If i have read correctly and my home cinema system has the same capabilities as sunnys i will get HD quality picture but only the normal DVD quality sound?

10. mook1979

mook1979
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I also have similar issues. I know very little about all of this and would be eternally gratefull for some adivce. Please have a look at my problem in an earlier post (here).

I have a DAVDZ830W & KDL46D3500U and would like to buy a PS3. Am I correct in assuming that if I purchase an optical cable, I can have 5.1 sound from PS3 games and Blu-ray films? I also understand that blu-ray films have even better sound (did not know that, shows my lack of knowledge) than that of DVDs with 5.1 sound. Would my DAVDZ830W produce decent surround sound, or will it sound dull or stereo-like when I watch Blu-ray movies?

I'm fully aware of the limitations of this system over a seperates system, but budget (and the wife's reaction to all new AV equipment) is an issue.

11. simbayo

simbayo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have just been searching the internet and saw that you previously asked the question I am needing an answer to as well. Can you please let me know if you managed to get your full hd sound from your ps3 to your dav is10?

Thanks

12. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    Same answer as before, if you only have an optical input then you can't get HD sound into the DAV, you can only do that using HDMI.

13. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,504
    Hello all

Working in a Sony Centre must be fun 'You like how it looks sir/madam - then its the one for you!' :)

I wouldn't get too worked up about support for the New Lossless HD audio formats - without big amplification/loudspeakers its unlikely you will hear much benefit through a miniature sub/satt system.

As MarkTaylor says go with DD/DTS 5.1 over Optical and enjoy your movies.

Joe