Connecting ps3 to pc to watch blu ray on monitor

thatguy

Standard Member
Reaction score
hi

i want to connect my ps3 to my pc so that i can filter the blu ray disc im playing on my ps3 and watch it on my pc

is it as easy as getting an cable that has hdmi connection on one end and a usb connection on the other?

would i see a loss in vision quality if i connected it up like this?

i just want to watch blu ray on my computer screen without buying a blu ray drive

any help would be muchly appreciated

would i be right in saying that you dont have a hdtv ,but your pc will play blu-rays....

or are you trying to copy them

anyways i think the only way to connect the two together would to bidge the two by using a Cat5.e Ethernet Cable

i know this work's for the tinternet(boardband) not sure it will work to watch moives .....

just had a quick look for a usb-hdmi cable and cant see any about
but did find this ...(which is a few years old)
HD Video via USB / HDMI output? - Cable Forum

andrew

Last edited:
just thought you can buy a dvi-hdmi cable
the only down side is that it wont carry sound so your going to need an amp and speakers

andrew

definately not copying!!

anyway, if i was the kind of guy who had the know-how to bypass the copywrite protection on a blu ray disc then i probably wouldnt need to ask how to do something simple like connect a ps3 to the pc

its a long story really, ive got a dvd drive on my pc and a ps3 to play my blu ray discs.

but ild like to watch my blu ray discs on my pc without going out and buying a blu ray drive :(

erm... watch them on your ps3?

:rolleyes:

:confused:

definately not copying!!

anyway, if i was the kind of guy who had the know-how to bypass the copywrite protection on a blu ray disc then i probably wouldnt need to ask how to do something simple like connect a ps3 to the pc

its a long story really, ive got a dvd drive on my pc and a ps3 to play my blu ray discs.

but ild like to watch my blu ray discs on my pc without going out and buying a blu ray drive :(

You could connect your PS3 to your monitor if your monitor supports HDCP but as others have said you will also need a way to output the sound.

Other than that you can't really. You could buy a really expensive capture card that supported HDMI but that would probably set you back more than a TV let alone a blu-ray drive.

ive got a dvd drive on my pc and a ps3 to play my blu ray discs.

Why the hell would you want to watch them on your pc?.......you have a perfectly good PS3 blu ray player attached to your tv, can't understand why???? unless you want to try ripping the discs?.....in which case, stick your head up your ass and roll away like a wheel!

Did it not occur that the OP may have a standard TV? A PC monitor may be a better option for quality, and finding a cable that connects the PS3 to the PC is cheaper than a new HDTV?

No, it didn't, i don't believe for a minute that anyone would buy a PS3 to use as a BD player to use on a SD tv.

Never mind, i shall stay out of this thread from now on, you can advise him as appropriate.

But i deffo think he doth protest too much at the mention by somebody that he may want to be trying to rip the discs.

I thank you.:hiya:

No, it didn't, i don't believe for a minute that anyone would buy a PS3 to use as a BD player to use on a SD tv.

Never mind, i shall stay out of this thread from now on, you can advise him as appropriate.

But i deffo think he doth protest too much at the mention by somebody that he may want to be trying to rip the discs.

I agree with kBm... the OP may well have just bought the PS3 to use on a CRT and realised if he could connect it to a Monitor he could use it for Bluray movies as well. Maybe if you'd given the OP benefit of the doubt before starting to insult him we would know.

@craftycarper, There is no need to post like that. You could have made your point without using that kind of language. That kind of response is not appropriate on these forums.

@thatguy, please just report posts like this rather than responding with insults of your own.

Last edited:
PLENTY of people buy the PS3 and connect to SD TV's and a surprising number of people connect to HD TV's using SD cables.

Take a deep breath on your high horse and by all means jump down like a ton of bricks on someone OBVIOUSLY commiting illegal activites (even though the mods will deal), but in the meantime, cut some slack....it's quite hard to some posters to put over their needs via t'web...we DON'T want to scare them off. :smashin:

I don't have a TV anymore. I recently found my PS3 when I moved. My laptop has an HDMI input. I too would like to use my computer (it only has a DVD drive) to watch blu ray movies. I was hoping it would be as easy as hooking up the PS3 like it was a normal external drive. But the PC is not recognizing it.

i would think the laptop hdmi is an output.
so you can send the signal to a large tv or projector.
if you have a computer monitor that has hdmi, you could proberly use that with the ps3.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom