Connecting PS3 to Onkyo 605?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by MysteryMan, Jan 14, 2008.

Tags:
  1. MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Just waiting for my PS3 to arrive (for Blu-Ray playing!) and currently have a Denon 3805 receiver. This doesn't have HDMI input and, so, I guess I am limited to the Optical connection.

From my limited understanding of the audio options for Blu-Ray, this will not be the best audio option and I am thinking swapping for an Onkyo 605 so that I can take advantage of the new audio formats.

If I do this, would I connect the PS3 to receiver, via HDMI, and then have to run another HDMI cable from the receiver to the screen? Would I be able to hear the sound through the TV speakers, if I wanted to?

Thanks!

2. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,969
    Moved to Amps and Receivers. :)

3. Kryptix

Kryptix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    You won't be able to hear sound through the TV speakers. If you wanna do that, you're probably best off sticking with your current setup, whilst running a optical to your amp and a HDMI to your TV. You can then switch the audio output between HDMI/optical depending whether you want sound to come out of your TV or amp.

I dunno why you'd want it to come out of your TV personally. I have a 605 and a PS3 and I have it connected how you said, and it's perfect.

4. Rom

Rom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +746
    Yes you can. In the hardware/HDMI setup menu select 'Yes' to the 'HDMI Audio Out' option. It is set to 'No' by default.

5. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871

you would connect your ps3 to the 605 by hdmi, then you would set the ps3 to output video and audio over hdmi, then set the ps3 to output pcm over hdmi, then connect a hdmi to your tv then when playing a bluray the ps3 will do the decoding and send as multichannel pcm to your amp, or it will send the uncompressed pcm present on some disc straight to the amp. The amp wont ever light up with the hd audio format you are listening to, it will say something like multichannel pcm, bu you are listening to the hd audio.

6. dave2112

dave2112
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Would love to pick your brain Kryptix... I'm about to hook up my new PS3 to my new Onkyo 605 (and my new DirecTV HR21) to my new Sony 52" XBR4... and nervous as hell about it!