connecting ps2 to projector

K

karltomjack

can someone confirm the following for me , i want to connect my sons ps2 to my home cinema .am i correct in saying that i need an digital optical lead between the ps2 optical out and optical in on av receiver and i have to either extend the yellow composite lead on the ps2 lead to plug into rear composite on projector.if this is possible would i be better buying the ps2 svideo lead and an svideo extension and connecting this for my picture instead of composite connection.

Best to connect the PS2 with an Optical lead for best sound via your amp.

For your video signal - I would reccomend not using composite, as this will give a poor picture via the projector (ah poor picture connecting to any device - but the larger image from the projector will really show it up)

A s-video cable would be a good choice - but I would get a PS2 component cable as this will give you the best picture possible.

A lot of the cheap s-video cables for consoles aren't true s-video but are actually composite wired to multiple pins, make sure you select the lead carefully, component would be the best choice.

Hi,
I want to connect it to my plasma and was wondering about using the HD15 port (VGA).
Your projector will have one as well for connecting a PC.
Will the output from the playstation be VGA or does it reduce it to PAL standard (or NTSC) ? OR will it output to the maximum resolution of the monitoring device ?

Regards

Hi,
just an update from what I got from the PS2 website.
"
The UK PlayStation 2 is not capable of outputting images of a resolution higher than the standard PAL resolution (720x576). This is because the PlayStation 2 is designed solely for use with televisions, and we do not support use of it with a computer monitor."

Sony recommend S-video.
Hope this clears it up
Regards
Briggsy

If you do use a VGA box with a PS2, it is NOT VGA, it is just an upsampled S-video signal. Take the advice and get a component cable, the ONLY way to get prog scan on a PS2 (without conversions).

Rich

the trouble is supersonic87 i only have one component connection on the rear of my projector which will be taken by my dvd player so i might have to stick with svideo from ps2 to projector

Hi,
If you do want extra component inputs your av reciever may support more than 1 component source.
Also note that progressive scan is only available on PS models SCPH5000 and above.
Also it would only affect you watching DVD's and games that have mpeg clips. The normal game play will be the same whether you use prog scan or not.
S video best choice I reckon.
Happy gaming :rotfl:

Regards
Briggsy

It doesn't matter what you input into a projector, the projector itself has to convert it to progressive scan for the lcd chips to work. This is how the technology works. So whatever you input, you get a deinterlaced image on your screen.
I have ps2 connected via S-video to my panny ae500 (leaving the component input free for the dvd player).

Pictures look fine, (your son will appreciate hurtling down a straight at 200mph on gt3 ;) )

Originally posted by karltomjack
the trouble is supersonic87 i only have one component connection on the rear of my projector which will be taken by my dvd player so i might have to stick with svideo from ps2 to projector

I got round this by buying a hardwired AV switcher (its a simple left right audio + composite) for £3 from www.cpc.co.uk. Works a treat, its small and hides behind kit, when I want to switch from PS2 to DVD player i simply reach over and flick a switch, no visible degradation, no constantly pulling out wires and reconnecting them. Maplins do same thing for about a tenner.

I can confirm that the AV switcher from cpc works fine (thanks for the tip nunew33!) and a logic 3 component cable gives a very nice picture at a fraction of the cost of the official Sony item.

SSX3 on an 8 foot screen has to be seen to be believed!

I also highly recommend that you pick up a copy of Rez if you can find it. This game was *meant* to be played on a big screen.

just a quick question...i too have a panny 500 and wanting to connect my ps2 up to my projector. My xbox and dvd r going in with progrissive scan, but after reading this thread, seems like PS2 will be fine going in as S-video. With my old TV, i connected my ps2 with s-video too, but any import (foreign chipped games), the picture was always black and white, so i had to use scart for those. Is this the same for the Panny 500? Will all format games work in colour through S-video, or only PAL games?

nunew33 said:
I got round this by buying a hardwired AV switcher (its a simple left right audio + composite) for £3 from www.cpc.co.uk. Works a treat, its small and hides behind kit, when I want to switch from PS2 to DVD player i simply reach over and flick a switch, no visible degradation, no constantly pulling out wires and reconnecting them. Maplins do same thing for about a tenner.

nunew33, I'm confused, the chap asks about a component connection and you mention you can get an AV switcher that has composite? Did you mean component and if so which model on the CPC site is it coz they have a lot of switchers.

Peter G also mentions this switcher and says he's using a Logic 3 component cable so this box must exist.

Thanks in advance
Clint.

Av switcher uses phono connections as do most componant leads. AV switchers have 3 phono connections meaning you can use for the three componant leads. Hardired means little loss of signal.

Most av switchers from cpc will work

I go to a boarding school and live in a dorm room..I was wanting to get a playstation 2 and hook it up to a projector instead of getting a tv. How would I do that?? And could I use computer speakers for the sound..And also do I need a reciever and is there a way to do it without a receiver if I need one???

Email me @
[email protected]

This is greatly appreciated...

Depends on projector.

Most projectors will allow composite (yellow lead you get withstandard PS2 connection.

But to get best image you want to use componant canle which you will have to buy for your PS2 (has red green and blue cbles).

As for sound, you need an amplifier not just speakers. A cheap amp from richer sounds using an optical connector from the PS2 would do

I need an amp to hook my ps2 up to like computer speakers....bc I have like no money at all so I'm trying to spend the least amount of money..I'm set with the projector but I thought there was a way to just hook speakers up to ur ps2 without an amp...

Try richer sounds, amps as cheap as £40 or try ebay or freecycle for even cheaper

Yeh but how can I hook up the sound from a PS2 to computer speakers where I don't need an amp and then I don't have to buy new speakers. I don't have stereo speakers that need and amp, I''m using computer speakers that don't so how do I do that???

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom