1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting PowerBook to Plasma with DVI?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Evil Ed, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Evil Ed

Evil Ed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I've got a whole load of questions, but I'll start with the 1 that's bugging me the most.

I have a PowerBook (G4, 12" Rev.B) which has DVI out. I think it's DVI-I, but I could be wrong.

I'm considering purchasing a Panasonic TH-42PWD6 with a DVI board. According to AV-Sales the DVI flavour is DVI-D.

How do I connect the two together?? =/ Does anyone have any expereince of this. If so, what's the quality like? Does the PowerBook display at the native 852x480 resolution?

Thanks in advance to anyone who's able to reply

-Ed

2. angelislington

angelislington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    According to here;

http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html#Page02

If the DVI type on the Pany board is DVI-D, and what you are sending to it is different, it will not work. You need to have either both the same, DVI-D or DVI-A, or you need to have an input that is DVI-I and therefore capable of accepting any type of signal.

I assume that the native output resolution of your Powerbook is adjustable in the settings? At least there should be a way to check that it is outputting 852x480.

I would be interested in how this situation is resolved, as I have a customer who is trying to do the same thing into a Pioneer 434.

3. Evil Ed

Evil Ed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Galaxyguy1

Luckily it turns out I might be wrong about the DVI connection on the PowerBook: I have a PowerBook G4 12" DVI, and according to the link below (from Apple's knowledge base) the Mini-DVI to DVI adaptor is of the DVI-D flavour :thumbsup:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86507

I think I still would like to test out the Panasonic TH42PWD6 with my PowerBook before I buy though, unless anyone out there is able to tell me of their experiences??

-Ed

4. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Just tried it with my 15" PB (9700 Radeon), just using a straight DVI cable (you'll need the mini-dvi to dvi dongle). It only reports 640x480, 800x600 & 1024x768 for the DVI input. You might want to try the VGA route if native resolution is important to you.

Cheersm Carl.

5. Pavel

Pavel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Have a look here for Macs being used for home cinema; http://www.htmug.com

/Paul

6. Evil Ed

Evil Ed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cwick, thanks for trying - have you tried using SwitchRes? http://www.madrau.com/html/SRX/DL.html

Pavel, thanks very much for the link, very useful!!

I have booked an appointment with AMC AV Sales on Thursday and am bringing my PowerBook with me to physically test the Panny display with DVI myself. I'll let you guys know how I get on if it's of any interest/use to anyone.

-Ed

7. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Ed,

Just gave SwitchRes a quick go, but wasn't able to get native rate available. Closest I got was 856x480 with these settings ...

Horizontal: Active 856, FP 52, SW 72, BP 112
    Vertical: Active 480, FP 13, SW 10, BP 30

.. which looks ok apart from a 'smear' on the extreme right of the screen (which tells me one or more of the numbers is off).

I was going to suggest that these Radeons, like their PC counterparts, aren't able to address resolutions that aren't multiples of 8 - hence 852x480 wouldn't be available. But I notice that the native rate of this 15" PB is 1280x854 - so clearly multiples of eight is not a restriction.

If I can track down some more powerstrip settings I'll keep trying ... why does nobody actually post their settings ? Lots of post saying "it works !", and nobody adds the working settings :(

Let us know how you get on at AV-Sales tomorrow.

Cheers, Carl.

8. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    These ones work, tweak the Pannys picture poition and size to get the 2 pixel overscan either side, and this bitmap to verify 1:1 mapping ...

HFP=87 HSW=48 HBP=121 kHz=34 VFP=28 VSW=1 VBP=54 Hz=60
    +hsync +vsync

.. looks pretty good :)

Cheers, Carl.