Connecting PoE Hikvision Cameras

Peteypops123

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm renovating my home and after reading reports on here and elsewhere I've decided to install a Hikvision CCTV system with PoE NVR. (i'm new to all the terminology but I think I've got it).

I intend on installing 4 cameras, but for the purpose of future-proofing I believe I need an 8 channel PoE NVR? I haven't really looked into which cameras I need yet, as there seems to be quite a bit of choice. i.e. I understand that the higher the MP = the higher the quality of the picture; but what does 2.8mm and 4mm mean? And do I need infrared on them all? If the cameras are installed at eaves height (2 storey house), and I want good quality pictures at night and day - is there a 'do it all' camera?

Anyway, my main question is... all the Hikvision PoE cameras seem to have a female RJ45 socket. How long is this flex to this? Will it be long enough to poke the camera flex through a 300mm cavity wall so that I connect on the bedroom wall inside the house, or are they designed to be connected outside the house next to the camera - if outside, will the connection be watertight, and do I need to waterproof it in a junction box? (this would look messy).

Any advice on how to connect the camera to the Cat5e cable would be greatly appreciated.

The connection cable is pretty short and has big connectors on it. You won't be able to take it through the cavity wall completely and you'll need a big hole if you want to hide it in the wall. I would recommend a mounting bracket where you can hide the cable. Then you can run the Cat5e/6/7 cable to that bracket, terminate it with a RJ45 connector and plug it in.

4mm is quite a narrow view. Ideal for driveways and passages. 2.8mm is wide angle so ideal for covering wide areas such as gardens.

I've just installed my second Hikvision camera actually. A 2.8mm 4MP mini dome under the overhang above our front door. Not only do a get a view of anyone approached the door I also get a general view from the front. My other 4mm 4MP dome camera is covering the driveway which is between our house and next door.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom