1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting Plasma, Sky, DVD and Console

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by spflan, Jul 1, 2005.

1. spflan

spflan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks

I have been reading the forum for a while and I must say it is brilliant resource for a newbie like myself.

Still, a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing, so I am seeking your advice on how best to connect my kit up. I have ordered a Panny 42 PV500 with wall mount and the (free) DMRES10 DVD recorder. I am going to connect my existing Sky+ box and an Xbox too.

Since I am putting it on the wall and intend to chase the cables into the wall, I want to make sure I get it right!

I was thinking along these lines:

TV to DMRES10 = Component (so it uses prog.scan mode)
    Sky+ to DMRES 10 = RGB scart
    Xbox to either DMRES10 on a second Scart (although don't think it has another RGB scart)... or...to the RGB scart on the screen.
    I am also planning to stick a HDMI cable in the wall so that when I have something to connect to it, I don't have to do any excavation!

Does this sound about right? I haven't ordered a 5.1 surround set up yet but if I add that later (le.g. Denon 1905 and some speakers) will that change everything or would it be quite straight forward?

Thanks in advance for any help! :thumbsup:

Simon

2. SonOfSony

SonOfSony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Correct on using the DVD via component.
    Correct on using Sky via RGB.
    Regarding your console, there is another RGB SCART socket so use that direct to TV - if you can't go via your DVD to make use of the component connection.

3. spflan

spflan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I should probably add that I was thinking about the Sky+ and Xbox going into DVD recorder so that a) there are fewer cables in the wall and b) it will be easier to change components if I upgraded the console or get a new Sky box when High Def comes out.... but can the DVD recorder act as the "switch" for Sky and Xbox without interfering with picture quality?

4. pobbop

pobbop
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :rolleyes: i have just got same setup and am wonderin the same? :confused:

5. ColdKilla

ColdKilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Does this setup allow you to record to your dvd recorder from sky in the highest quality?

CK