1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting plasma/home cinema/sky/video

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Sandman, May 19, 2005.

1. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,186
    Folks,

Can anyone help me and give me an idiots guide to connecting some bits and pieces up.

I'm buying a Panasonic TH37PW7 and will be going for the screen only option.

This obviously doesn't have a tuner so I'll be connecting it to my Sky box to act as the tuner. The Sky box only has 2 Scart sockets and audio Left and Right connections.

I also have a DVD/Home Cinema System that I'll need to connect in order to provide sound (seeing as the screen doesn't have speakers) and also to watch DVD's. This has component output so would like to use this to get the best quality possible.

My Video player again has 2 Scart sockets, nothing else.

I'm at a bit of a loss as how to connect all this up to provide sound through the home cinema system when watching sky and also when watching DVD's.

My thoughts were I would need an RGB-VGA Convertor for the SKY (does the RGB-VGA converter take a Scart input?)

And also a Component card for the screen to allow me to connect the DVD/Component?

if I did this would I still get sound through the home cinema when watching sky????

Sorry for being a bit of an idiot here but I really need an idiots guide to connecting all this up so I know what I need to order tomorrow!

Any assistance would be very much appreciated - especially along the lines of: Buy an X, connect this between the Y socket on the Z and the A socket on the B!!!!!

Cheers
    Sandman

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    Buy a dual slot board, 3 RCA> BNC lead, a 1 RCA> BNC lead, a JS RGB>VGA converter, a VGA lead and a decent scart>scart. (AV-sales will know exactly what you need)

3. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,186
    Thanks for that, I really appreciate it.

Could you possibly explain how to connect these up - i.e which wires go where and connect what?

Sorry, I'm still trying to learn the ropes!

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    sky TV scart to JS box to plasma VGA, DVD player via 3RCA to BNC cable to component input on dual slot, VCR via scart adapter and sincle RCA>BNC lead to composite input on Dual slot (could use a scart to 1 BNC cable)