Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

connecting pcs

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by showcase, Aug 15, 2005.

1. showcase

showcase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi
    i need help, i got some idea but need your help, so here goes;

i got a 4 port adsl router works all fine, i have connected 2 pcs to it.
    nw what i want to do is this, pc1, pc2 and pc3 for example.

pc1 and pc2; when i had them connected (peer to peer network) i set up a network for shared docs used the. and i put a shortcut folder on the desktop, so if i want to transfer anyfiles all i needed to do is put them in the shared folder of that pc. nw i have connected them to the router can i still do this, or do i have to do it another way????

ok nw for pc3 (which i just got cheap), this will also be connected to the router and it will stay on 24-7 and without a monitor.
    how do i set up so pc1 and pc2 can access pc3? for instance i switch on pc1 and i want to download data from the net, but instead of saving the data on pc1's hard-drive i want to save it to the pc3's hard-drive. is this possible.

thanks in advance for any help, i need it, my heads going round and round

2. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Hi,

Yeah, thats possible.

On PC1 - "share" the hard drive out to PC2 and PC3.

This is also known as mapping a network drive.

From Windows do the following on PC1:

Right Click Start --> Select Explore --> In Explore Window, select the drive or folder that you want to "share" and right click on there --> select "Sharing and Security..." and follow the instructions there.

Once you've allowed the drive/folder to be shared...

From Windows on PC2 & PC3 do the following:

Right Click Start --> Select Explore --> Right Click "My Computer" --> Select "Map Network Drive..." This will give you a dialogue box with a drive letter, and a Folder entry in it. So for instance, if you wanted to add PC1's C:\DOWNLOADS folder which you have setup as a share as "DOWNLOADS", enter \\pc1\DOWNLOADS in the Folder box.

All being well and good, it should map PC1's DOWNLOAD folder to the drive letter selected when you mapped it e.g. Z:\

(It would make sense to use the same drive letter on PC2 & PC3)

Therefore when you download from PC2 and PC3, place the downloads into the Z:\ drive, and the will transfer automatically over to PC1's C:\DOWNLOADS folder.

Hope this helps.

T.

3. showcase

showcase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey thanks TonyA your a life saver :thumbsup:

one thing thou. as pc3 is going to stay on 24-7 i need to map that drive dont i? basically pc1 and pc2 when not in use will be switched off. so from either pc1 or pc2, when i use the internet and download stuff, i can place it in pc3 drive or folder?

also (just keeping pc3 out of this) if i want to transfer data from pc1 to pc2 or vice versa, so all i need to do is map a folder say "downloads" on pc1 and do the same for pc2.

tonya - when u said (It would make sense to use the same drive letter on PC2 & PC3)
    will this create some sort of onflict? as u said but i need it for pc1 and pc2.

thanks again

4. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    yup your right, keep the shared drive on PC3.

By doing that PC3 is becoming your file server and a cheap pc is ideal for such a use. See some of the other threads in this forum. To swap files between PC1 & PC2 you can transfer via PC3, or create a shared drive on each of the three PCs.

What TonyA means about naming the drives similarly is this,

When you create a share you give it a name. The FULL NAME of any share is \\<hostname>\<sharename>. So in the dialog TonyA mentions you give it a sharename. The hostname is automatically appended. so for example lets say
    PC1 is called Apples
    PC2 is called Oranges
    PC3 is called Bananas

and lets say you called the shared folder C:\shared on all three machines, then your network browser would show 3 shares

\\apples\shared
    \\Oranges\shared
    \\bananans\shared

There is no conflict at this stage as each share although it has the same sharename is on a different pc.

Now for every login under XP you can set up some drive mappings to make accessing these shares easier so they become say S:, T:, U:

The advantage of doing this is that then no matter which machine you are on you know you just go to the S: drive to access apples, ie

On each machine in My Computer->Tools->Map Network Drive

You set up the following three mappings
    S:=\\apples\shared
    T:=\\orangess\shared
    U:=\\bananas\shared

There is no problem mapping a network drive on the same machine, and at least that way you know quickly which is which.

Hope that helps

Rajiv

5. showcase

showcase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just abit confused:
    so i map the drive on pc3. and then on pc1, and pc2 i do what? to see the drive on pc3?

i do not want full access to pc2 or pc1, just want to create a folder so i can put file in it, so if i'm using pc1 and put a data in a folder, then who ever is using pc2 can just open the folder and get the file.

so basically pc2 and pc1 can both see the drive for pc3..
    but for pc1 and pc2 its just a shared folder,

i followed the instrustion below, kinda got stuck...

6. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    OK ON PC3 using "My Computer - open your C: drive"

Create New Directory "SHARED_PC3"

Right click on the directory and select Sharing. Give it a name eg Shared_PC3

Make sure you enable permissions for writing and reading.

Now go to PC1

Open "My Computer"

Select Tools->Map Network Drive from the menu

For the drive letter choose "S:"

For the folder name choose \\PC3\Shared_PC3

(NOTE I don't know what your PC3 is called - to find out perform the following on PC3

Go to Control Panel->System and choose the "Computer Name" tab.

The name of you PC is the text after "Full Computer Name".
    For any of this to work, the workgroup must be the same on the machines too. This is right under Full Computer Name. If it is wrong, just change it by pressing on the "Change.." button.)

Now repeat on PC2

You will now have an S: drive on PC1 & PC2, which points to your PC3

I would stop there. If you want to share a file between PC1 & PC2 just drop it on to PC3. For example I download all program/software updates from my PC1 straight to my S: drive and then all my machines pick it up from there. I don't think you'll gain much from swapping files directly.

Cheers

Rajiv

7. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,601
    I'd say you're over-complicating things just a bit.. If PC3 is staying on all the time, you really want to be using this as the (only) shared PC.. so put all your required shared files in the one shared folder, on PC3.

( you don't need to map any drives on PC3, you just need to share a folder )

get there like this:

on PC3: Share a folder as already described.. again, lets say using the name 'shared' as the share name.

on PC1: Map a drive (X) to \\PC3\shared

on PC2: Map a drive (X) to \\PC3\shared

IMO, The easy way to map the drive on PC1 and PC2:

Goto DOS ( Start> Run> type Cmd > OK )

then type this exactly, including the spaces..

net use x: \\pc3\shared

and hit enter.... thats it!

then, when working at either PC1 or PC2, whenever you want to save a file that will be available to the other PCs, just save it in X: instead of C:

make sense? :)

8. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,601
    oops.. too slow.. :D

9. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Snap!:thumbsup:

10. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Nice one! :thumbsup:

These things are p :censored: ss easy when you know how to use them, but to try and explain it in terms that anyone can understand and follow is a little harder!

Hope he's got the gist of it all, and manages to get it all setup.

T.

11. showcase

showcase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have not tried it yet, but thanks yeh it really helped. i nw what i sort off had to do, but needed further options. did not think of mapping the drive before, i think i'l map the drive on pc3 and create folders for pc1 and pc2 to share files form one another.
    and pc1 and pc2, can connect to pc3, via mapped drive to save files to it

any more tips, i would not mind, going to put it to the test in 2 days time, in the middle of redcorating the room at mo

appreciated for all the help
    yeh i got the gist :D