1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting PC to Philips 42PF9966

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by alphawolf, Nov 4, 2004.

1. alphawolf

alphawolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought the 42PF9966 and trying to connect it to a varity of devices. I have tested it with Cable TV, DVD with component input, XBOX with component input. The picture quality is great with all these but when I try to connect it with PC via DVI (it comes with a HDMI->DVI cable), I was puzzled !
    I have set my PC resolution to 1024x768, 32 bit color and 60Hz, the image go straightly to the Plasma with impressive clarity. But then I noticed that the whole screen seems scrolling horizontally (sometimes left, sometimes right), 1 or 2 pixel at a time for every 5 to 10 seconds. I have to use the remote to re-align the picture every minute and this really annoyed me.
    Is there anyone experienced this kind of problem before, I have tried two PC with two different display cards, AT9800Pro and GeForce 5700 but it seems there is nothing to do with the display.
    I am also confused with the TV's manual stating that 1024x768 is not supported by 42PF9966. I have tried 800x600 the problem persists.
    Any idea or advice ?? :lease:

2. jakesmith

jakesmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, can't help you.

But was under impression from posts here that that set could not show 1024x768 _when_ connect up to PC. You see my debate in another thread (if you haven't already) :

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160663

And philips website seems to confirm this:
    http://www.consumer.philips.com/con...&proxybuster=LBUKTTSV3FRGPJ0RMRCSHQNHKFSESI5P

(see "Computer formats : 640 x 480, 60HZ, 800 x 600, 60HZ")

that doesn't really explain why you are seing what you see, but are you sure you are seing 1024x768 at all and it is not scaled down or something??

3. lemke

lemke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AlphaWolf,

You have tested the 42pf9966 with Cable TV, DVD with component input, XBOX with component input :confused:

As far as I know, there is no component on this system. Are you sure, and witch EXT did you use?

And the max resolution for the dvi is 800x600 at 60hz. I tried the 1024x768 but the system didn't recognize this resolution. Well, it didn't even work with 800x600. I see a technician tomorrow.

Question, If you press the menu button, how many options do you get:
    I only have Picture, Sound, Features. But the manual says there sould be a fourth option: Ambilight (in between Sound and Features).

Could you test that for me?

Greetz,
    Lem.

4. lemke

lemke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just went to my vendor. Seems that their 42pf9966 in demo has the additional ambilight menu option. So why doesn't my one week old plasma have it.

A philips technician will make arrangements to visit me and check it.

5. alphawolf

alphawolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The one I bought from Hong Kong does have ambilight feature and if you check with the web-site, you should see he 9966 model have 4 video inputs :
    2x Component
    1x DVI
    1x S-video/Composite

So there is no problem with XBOX connection !

I think Philips has problem in naming the model number and from some sources I am also confused with exactly a 42pf9966 model is !

For for PC output, I have tried both 800x600 and 1024x786, indeed, the 1024x768 is much clearer than 800x600 and it 'almost' occupied the whole screen, the image is crystal clear but the only complaint is it seems shifting left and right indefinitely. I am not sure if its something to do with its auto-zoom feature (which automatically enlarge your screen to prevent burn-in).

6. alphawolf

alphawolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think all the 9966 should have ambilight ! My menu does have ambilight option and it looks really cool !

7. lemke

lemke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, you bought it from Honkong. Same specs as in the US and Austria. But the EU model, for Benelux and other countries has other specs: ALIS, no component.

Greetz