Connecting PC to Hifi

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Strobe, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Strobe

Strobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Hi all,

I havce a large music collection on my pc (Apple Lossless and 320 bitrate mp3) and use napster download service alot. I wish to connect my pc to the hifi. Soundcard is CL Audigy ZS, Hifi is Teac Reference 250 (analogue inputs only). At the moment I am connecting the two using a 3.5mm stereo jack to twin phono cable. Sound quality is very below par, and certainly not in the same league as a Squeezebox 3 which I originally owned. Only problem with the Squeezebox is that it does not support Napster so don't want to go down this route again. The PC and Hifi are next to each other, so, is there any other (better) way of connecting them but still allowing me to use Napster, which is the sticking point at the mo?

I am also considering a Hifi overhaul anyway, and may go to a digital amplifier based system; such as the Onkyo CS-715; in which case I could presumably connect digitally and let the Onkyo's DAC do the work. This would presumably give me far better sound quality?

Also, would a sound card upgrade make much difference - considering the M-Audio products?

Any thoughts suggestions gratefully received.

2. Gixxerblade

Gixxerblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I also found 3.5mm to 2 phono in to an Arcam A85 to be below expectations using the onboard sound card from an Asus p5b wifi although I could have used a better made cable to be fair.
    I use a Chord signature digital 1m cable now which I'm reviewing against a Cambridge 3m one - they both sound superb using wav or lossless wma in Vista.
    WMA at 128k even sounded more than acceptable to my ears and I could easily live with it if disk space was a major issue.
    I use a Lexicon MC4 and output at 24bit 96khz using the standard MS HD driver and the A85 in power amp mode but my old Arcam AVR100 also did a great job via digital coaxial using the Cambridge 3m cable with the pre-outs in to the A85.
    If you use a digital connection in to a decent receiver I'm sure you will be happy with the results and if not you could always add a dac at a later stage.

If you want to stick with analog then the card you mentioned should be good and also the Asus Xonar and RME cards seem well reviewd.