1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting PC to BeoVision4 42" plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by chrishow, Jan 22, 2005.

1. chrishow

chrishow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I’ve recently invested in a BeoVision4 42” Plasma and BeoCentre2.

I would like to display the picture from my WinXP PC (or a new PC) on the BeoVision4. So far, I’ve been able to output from my WinXP laptop, using S-Video into the BeoSystem2 media box, however the picture quality is poor (out of focus). I adjusted the resolution and also the refresh rate within WinXP, however it seems to make no difference to the quality on the screen.

I would expect to be able to output from the PC via VGA or DVI and go direct into the BeoSystem2 media box.

Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards

2. Panosg

Panosg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am not sure what inputs your panel has so:
    Input by DVI is the best conection and PQ from your PC,but VGA is very good too.Just use what you panel comes with.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    chris do you want the good or the bad news??? and is it a 42" or a 50"

4. dave0523

dave0523
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sounds ominous.......

5. chrishow

chrishow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well this is the issue...

As far as I can tell, there is a single VGA input on the panel. This is used by the connection from the media box. The media box doesn't have a VGA in, only Scart, S-Video and Component.

Should S-Video from the PC give a good quality picture on the plasma? Regardless of brand?

My other option is to use a VGA switcher, running the PC and media box into the switcher and the output to the panel.

Could I risk damaging the panel by using this method?

btw, it is a 42" - I'll have both the good and the bad news please

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    well the issue is that your plasma is TH-42PWD6B Panasonic with an aluminium bezel see the 3 covers next to the VGA input, they are termianl board slots...unfortuantely you can use them, BeoSys 2 diables them and Panel IR so a VGA switcher is about your only option........nice plasma :smashin:

7. jaguar

jaguar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hornydragon.
    Are you saying that they just 'glued' an aluminium frame on top of an exsisting Panasonic panel? Or did B&O start out with a Panasonic glass and then constructed their own panel & electronics.
    Because this kind of glass borrowing is done a lot.
    If it's the first option B&O is really ripping people off.

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    if you unbolt the aluminium frame its a 42PWD6 or 50PHW6 the Beosystem 2 is effectively a small scaler (no Digital inputs or options so far so no HD) but a 42PHD7 and ISCAN HD+ does all the same and lots more for £3.5k (can even add B&O speakers if you like....) they disable the extra 3 slots so its not like you can POP a DVi/VGA card for PC use, and as the screen is controlled by RS232 and IR is disabled, it means you have to disconnect serial port to get it to switch inputs..... (a fantastic TV for £8k) but contains, in the case of the 42", £2.5K electronics £1200 speakers, £4.3k worth of brushed aluminium........THE PQ is very good, and the integration is superb....but thecost vs features means if you want to do more than watch telly it is somewhat wasted........there are sone complex options to get around this tho...

AND what really gets me is that pannys overscan BIG STYLE out of the BOX.... B&O dont correct this and ship then panny standard.....Possibly in dynamic...Beovision 4 lacks the auto brightness feature common to its CRT range......

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Oh Dear! i don't suppose Chris really wanted to know that. Unfortunately, Horny is the B&O guru round here, so we can take that as fact. I gather B&O use Sonance drivers in their speakers too... or at least used to till recently?