Connecting PC to AVR in bitstream mode

Roku2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I figured I started a new thread about this subject because apparently I am not the only one with a few audio issues when connecting a laptop or PC to a AVR (I have a Denon910) via HDMI cable.
On my bluray player it was very simply to switch from PCM to bitstream, but on my Acer laptop computer, I havent been able to figure it out. Thank you guys:)

Normally right click on the speaker icon in the system tray with the hdmi cable connected, choose playback devices. Select the appropriate audio output.

Normally right click on the speaker icon in the system tray with the hdmi cable connected, choose playback devices. Select the appropriate audio output.
When I go into Playback Devices I only get the option to either enable or disable the connected devices, but if the laptop is set on PCM then Playback Devises is not the location where I can change that. There must be another audio setting somewhere where you can configure laptop to Bitstream

When I go into Playback Devices I only get the option to either enable or disable the connected devices, but if the laptop is set on PCM then Playback Devises is not the location where I can change that. There must be another audio setting somewhere where you can configure laptop to Bitstream

I would check you have the latest drivers for your sound card. Alternatively does one of your output sockets double as a S/Pdif coaxial output socket ?

I would check you have the latest drivers for your sound card. Alternatively does one of your output sockets double as a S/Pdif coaxial output socket ?
yes I do. What I should probably do is go to Control Panel>Device Manager>Audio...or at least hope so

yes I do. What I should probably do is go to Control Panel>Device Manager>Audio...or at least hope so

You should be able to connect the S/Pdif output to your AV receiver and assign at as the audio input associated with the PC HDMI input.

It's not a computer-wide setting, you need to be looking into the settings of the program you want to passthrough from.

It's not a computer-wide setting, you need to be looking into the settings of the program you want to passthrough from.
you were correct sir. The issue was not my PC or the settings, but some of the content I was playing was in Stereo. When I tried specific streaming content in DD+ the receiver Info displayed DD+

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom