Connecting pc to 436xde

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by eonone, Nov 5, 2005.

1. eonone

eonone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Im currently connecting my pc via vga port on the front at 1024x768 amd 60hz and while a nice pic I have a little colour banding when selecting drop downs etc (hardly noticeable)

basically would a dvi-hdmi conection offer a better all round pic, would it be worth the expense?

Thanks

2. TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Hi Eonone

You will not notice any difference when using VGA or HDMI. What will make a difference, is the the quality and length of the cable. I have tested all of the inputs extensively using a PC.

Also what graphics card are you using? I use an Nvidia 7800, that also gives me the option of component video output. This gives superb quality for video playback (the best IMO........)

I set the graphics card to output to a HDTV, rather than a monitor, using component cables. This also allows me to set the output to 720p @50/60Hz and 1080i @50/60Hz, all of which are accepted by the component input of the XDE.

The PC (VGA) input does NOT accept 1080i video or 50Hz signals. This can be a problem for video, so I only use this for PC tasks.

Doc

3. blossom

blossom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    That graphics card sounds pretty cool, where did you buy that Doc? What about audio? Do you have the audio going from PC to an AV amp or how do you get it into the Media box?

4. TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    The graphics card is widely available now (7800GT and 7800GTX), but make sure it comes with the COMPONENT output dongle. It also has two DVI outputs. This card has been primarily designed for ultimate gaming and HDTV.

My audio is output to a AV amp via a digital optical (toslink) cable.

My PC is actually hidden on the other side of the room and I use 10 M VGA, component and optical audio cables......with no problems at all (excellent quality)

5. avman69

avman69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doc, do you have to underscan when going through component, as with the hdmi to get a fullscreen desktop?

Do you think that going analogue component to component is giving you better quality than digital, dvi to hdmi? Its just that most graphics cards ive seen output a better quality signal through digital, hence a sharper picture using dvi to hdmi

6. Tainted

Tainted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would put DVI above DSUB any day. To me using DSUB on my panel the picture looks soft and blurry. But switch over to DVI and it's a big noticeable difference just alot clearer much like on a LCD monitor you switch between the two.

Yes you can get used to one but run DSUB for a week and then switch to DVI and realise how blurry the last picture has been.

Haven't tried component yet. Sounds like I should give it a go for my movies.

7. TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Theoretically "digital is better than analogue". But when you move into the world of pixel mapping, scalers and pro setups, the D-SUB still blows away many HDMI/DVI inputs.

Digital inputs of most of todays plasmas have too many restrictions, when it comes to native resolutions and flexibility. The only way around this is to use the D-SUB input, which will give you a much better picture (when using an external processor to bypass the internal processor of the plasma). The difference is significant.

If using D-SUB, get a quality cable, not the type they throw in with monitors. The best D-SUB cables are from Bettercables.com (3m = $150.00). These are designed for video playback. Lindy sell quality alternatives if you are on a budget.

avman69......there is a degree of overscan but it is very small. You can still see the taskbar at the bottom and all of your icons at the edge of the screen, but not quite fully. You can correct this using the PC or just leave it as it does not have a significant effect on video playback.

Doc

8. TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    It is only through extensive testing, that I have realised that the HDMI input of the XDE needs serious calibrating. I know that mine produces the wrong colours, black levels etc, although the picture may be more digital and vivid...it is wrong. That is why I will be getting a professional to sort it out.

Also, it is not always about what output is best from the graphics card, it is about what input is best for your panel - for me component from the PC gives the most accurate and clean picture especially when playing HD material. It is an output primarily designed for outputting HDTV into a HDTV.

I used to be a "digital is better" person, until I realised that most of todays plasmas have flawed digital inputs that prevent me from getting the "perfect" picture.

Doc

9. birdseed

birdseed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    So, in you guys opinion, would the fact that i had vertical lines running down my 436s vga input display, which causes a shadow to the right hand side of every icon on the desktop be accounted for by the £10 VGA cable that ive bought?
    Would the £20 PC world option be better, or do i really have to go up to silly money to get the picture acceptable?

Right now its no better than when i tried a s video connection to it!

10. eonone

eonone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    actually birdseed I have the same symptoms - ghosting to the right of icons, shadowing of pull down menus across the screen etc. My vga cable cost me 7 pound from Richer Sounds.

Could it be the cable or my old Nvidia Geforce2 pro video card?

11. TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42

Poor VGA cables show up a lot more than cheaper DVI/HDMI cables. What length of cable are you using. Check this link here (you don't need to break the bank for a good quality VGA cable):

http://www.lindy.com/uk/catalog/14/04/01b/index.php

I use the Lindy 10 meter cable and it does a great job. The other thing is....that once the PC is connected, use the "Auto Setup" function in the menu of the XDE - this will adjust the clock and phase settings correctly.

Let me know how you get on.

Doc

12. eonone

eonone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well its about 2 metres and cost about 7quid but I have the symptoms mentioned...video card maybe?

Used the 'auto setup' feature, dropped the phase to -2 thats all

13. TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Hi Eonone

I've updated the link above, those are the cables that I use.

When connected, does you graphics card detect the monitor as a PDP436? Mine detects PDP505.

What graphics card are you using? Are you using the latest drivers?

Doc

14. Vipers

Vipers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +650
    Thanks for the link Doctor, perfect timing, I hooked up a new DVI-HDMI lead from my computer to my 506 to replace my VGA lead, expecting my HD files to look awesome and it looked awefull, to dark, it had lost all vibrancy. So back I went to VGA lead, but now I'll buy one from the link, you should be on commission :)

On another similar subject, I've got a .ts HD file that plays fine on my 6800gt PC using VLC media player, but when I try to view it on my pc that is hooked upto my 506, I think it's got a 5600 graphics card in it it runs the sound but no picture, is this due to the graphics card no being able to handle it?

Thanks,
    Vipers.

15. blossom

blossom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi Doc,

Is this component dongle some kind of DVI - component adapter? I have a DVI out on my current graphics card ( Geforce FX5700LE ). Can I do the same as you? Sorry if it's a dumb question.

16. TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Hi Vipers

Try connecting the second PC to a normal monitor, and see if you get a picture. If you still don't, then update the drivers for the graphics card and try again.

I think the graphics card should be able to handle it.

Doc

17. Vipers

Vipers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +650
    Hi Doctor.

Good Idea, I was thinking this morning that the Graphic card drivers could be to old, I'll try it later.

Cheers,
    Vipers

18. eonone

eonone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doctor...no the pc detects a 'plug and play monitor' only, not the 436

I believe I have the latest drivers but Ill check tomorrow and maybe after that Ill try a more expensive vga cable from your link as mine was 7quid for 2 metre-ish

Birdseed...is yours the same? can you let me know if u can get ur pic better?

19. blossom

blossom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Doctor, are you in the surgery?

20. TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Hi Blossom

It is separate from the DVI connection. See the link, it has some nice pictures of the latest Nvidia graphics cards and the dongle:

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1822

The cards have two DVI outputs and a universal output for connecting the dongle. This is now a common feature with new graphics cards, primarily designed for connecting PCs to HDTVs.

See if you have that extra universal output socket. I have heard of people getting the component-out extension separately, but I am not sure where from?

Also regarding the vertical lines.......these are usually visible if the brightness and contrast are too high (you can see banding)......have a play with the settings.

Doc

21. birdseed

birdseed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    i have anvidia geforce 5600 fx, its a 3m cable and it detects a plug and play monitor only. I tried the latest drivers but it made no difference.

22. Tainted

Tainted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Codecs are normally the key with picture. download ffdshow it's excellent. That's all I use for viewing avi's. I have a preset that upscales all video to 1280x720 and they look great as it sharpens the picture also. And content that is 720 it just plays it. Try videolan player (vlc). Plays .ts files very quickly and smoothly and you can disable 1080i interlace if you running on a 720p setup.

Dual monitors???
    Also is your panel set to primary display and your drivers (nvidia???) told to play video on primary or secondary depending if it is a dual setup and panel is secondary device.

23. birdseed

birdseed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    i just got the 5m vga cable from the link above- problem solved and £26 well spent. The shadows and lines that that myself and enone had are gone!
    Havent tried anything other than the windows desktop so far so will report back on how games look etc later!

24. anticlaus105

anticlaus105

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    got the same and been trying divx etc. Brilliant! Can run tv as secondary monitor and so still use primary for internet etc.

Just move mouse off right of pc monitor and it comes onto tv. So sweet!

25. TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Good to hear birdseed and anticlaus105. See..........you don't have to spend a fortune on cables to get good results.

Best regards

Doc