Question Connecting PC Line outs to Old Receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by calibos, Jul 18, 2018.

1. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I am awaiting delivery of a Sony DN1080 for the Living-Room/Projector room and a KEF E305 5.1 Speaker setup for a bedroom. The Livingroom upgrade will allow a cascade of older receivers through the house with our venerable Sony DB930 ending up in the bedroom to be used with the new Kef E305's. I'm assuming the Realtek soundcard on my Asus Z170-A motherboard and the PC running Kodi supports much more recent formats and DSP than the old Sony DB930. I assume then the best thing to do is connect the 5.1 line outs of the motherboard to the RCA/Phono 5.1 Speaker Inputs on the Sony DB930 and thus using the PC and Kodi for all format decoding and simply using the DB930 as an Amp for each channel. Given the KEF E305 sub has a built in amp I assume I connect that directly to the PC sub output.

Can I confirm with you guys that literally all I need to buy is an old Stereo Headphone jack to stereo phono cable times x 3

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,571
    PC > Legacy AVR - should be as simple as 3 x 3.5mm to 2RCA cables, note 'should be' :)

Sub - I would connect that through the Legacy AVR too, there is a Sub Input and Output on the AVR. Pg 11 of the AVR manual shows the connectivity.

Joe

3. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Cheers Joe!